Extra conditions on Tenancy Agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep it simple

Don't believe anyone who says things like "I'm a smoker but will only smoke outside the property" or "I have pets but my family will take them on". They soon lapse.

Additionally find tenants whose ethos is not to permit their guests to smoke in the property either.

Tell you about one experience. I took on tenants who said they do not smoke. Fine, they moved in. Needed to do some maintenance a couple months later. First thing I noticed as I stepped in was the smell of marijuana. When I questioned them about it, they did not regard it as "smoking" because it was something they did occasionally. I now ask prospective tenants whether they smoke tobacco or any other substance at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
      Ripsnort - FYI here's the official guidance on unfair terms in tenancy agreements, which may be useful for you:
      http://www.oft.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/D...E/0/oft356.pdf

I'll freely admit that my standard AST does contain a few clauses which would probably not stand up to scrutiny of this level although they are certainly not outlandish and personally I don't think they are unreasonable (they certainly have less 'impact' than yours)... I include these clauses in the full knowledge that I wouldn't and couldn't take action against the tenant if they broke them (except for issuing an S21, 'without reason'!) but in the hope that the tenants will still adhere to them - and to be honest, that they probably don't actually know that the terms aren't legally enforceable.

So personally, I don't see why you can't add go ahead and anything you like to your agreement on a similar basis, providing you accept the limitations of doing so? What do others think?
      Thanks, I must admit to printing this off a few days ago but being 65 pages long I've not read it yet

I agree with what you are saying too. I've gone ahead and included all but no.3.

Poppy, I think it's unfair to make such a sweeping statement implying all tenants cannot be trusted. I believe there are respectable tenants out there but am not naive enough to think there are those who would ignore the clauses. I think it may make people behave a little more considerably even if they don't adhere to them 100%.

For instance, we often hire out cottages for our holiday. It is always stated that dogs must not be allowed on the furniture but my dog is in the habit of curling up in a chair at night. So, rather than adhere to the ban totally, I would ensure that I cover the chair with a blanket ensuring that the chair is left in the same condition as when I entered the property.

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy View Post
        Don't believe anyone who says things like "I'm a smoker but will only smoke outside the property"
        Or like a recent applicant of mine, who didn't make it past the telephone interview, and who when asked the question, managed to come up with: "Erm....... I've just given up"

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
          Or like a recent applicant of mine, who didn't make it past the telephone interview, and who when asked the question, managed to come up with: "Erm....... I've just given up"
          Mmmmm....yeh right

Comment

[QUOTE=lawstudent;24356]Smoking is an utterly filthy brainless and dangerous habit. And the kind of morons who do it are likely to cause all kinds of damage. QUOTE]

I really wanted to say that but having wonderful self-control and training myself to stand for election, I stopped myself...

I'm a non-smoking landlord and I intend to move into a rented property of mine in the near future. I would be spitting feathers if I was left with faggy smells coming out of the walls etc. My husband, who's an ex-smoker, would be even more enraged.

Re the concern about dog hairs, not fleas: at least you can see dog hairs: you can't see flea eggs....when have you ever heard of there being a 'hair' epidemic?!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X