Buy-to-Let Research Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy-to-Let Research Report

Readers of Rosie Millard's column in the Sunday Times 8/9/06 will have seen the reference to a research report commissioned by ARLA on the tenth anniversary of its launch by ARLA - The Association of Residential Letting Agents. They say:

"Buy to Let has proved to be a force for good in the housing market and a major industry in its own right. This assessment was presented at No. One Birdcage Walk, Westminster, today (Sept 26), in a specially commissioned report, “Buy to Let, The Revolution – 10 Years On.”

Today over a million households live in Buy to Let properties. These property assets are worth well over £120 billion and the Buy to Let sector contributes over £30 billion to the economy each year. This contribution is worth more than that made by all the pubs, hotels and restaurants in the country and is over four times more than the contribution from the motor industry."

You can get the full report by Michael Ball, Professor of Urban and Property Economics at the University of Reading Business School on the ARLA website here

allthough i am sure that there are many areas that it is still well worthwhile purchasing buy to let properties, and i would be interested to hear what the best returns investors are getting, I find that in my area prices have risen so much that to purchase a buy to let property the current rental returns would be less than 4% consequently whereas 10 years ago i was getting a return of 12 to 15 % my return now is 4 to 5% on current values of course at the moment i am finding the capital value is still increasing , but still to fund new purchases the return would not justify the cost
    Opinions given are mine, They are not necessarily correct, as the more I learn the less I know, You should always seek professional help.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
      by DoricPixie
      It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
      28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
    • Renting rooms
      by Luke
      I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
      I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
      I do not intend to live at the property
      Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
      As its...
      28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
    • Reply to Renting rooms
      by DoricPixie
      I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
      28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
    • Reply to Renting rooms
      by theartfullodger
      Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
      28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
    • Reply to Renting rooms
      by Hudson01
      If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
      28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
    • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
      by jpkeates
      That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
      The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
      28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
    • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
      by Piffy
      I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
      27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
    • Reply to Renting rooms
      by DoricPixie
      You can't have your cake and eat it Luke. If you want to receive rental income from a property that is not also your main home you have to accept that the occupants will be tenants. This means that you will have to comply with all your legal obligations as a landlord unless you want it to come back...
      28-01-2022, 16:09 PM
    • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
      by DoricPixie
      I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the model agreement that gave the requirement to leave the property reasonably clean regardless of the condition at the start of the tenancy - seems I wasn't.

I seem to recall the "professional" cleaning fee being an unfair clause although...
      28-01-2022, 16:06 PM
    Working...
    X