Utilities question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utilities question

I am just embarking on a student buy to let for my son & friends. What do I do when it comes to the utilities, after having the meters read before they move in, are the utilities put in my name? If not whose name would they be put in as there will be four of them?

You are the landlord so it is up to you! You can either increase their rent a bit (but how much?) and pay the utility bills yourself. Alternatively, you can just pay the bills and extract a quarter from each student or, you can make one of them the bill payer and let him/her extract the necessary shares from his/her colleagues.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Or you could have meters fitted and let them sort it out between them!

Comment

Originally posted by truddles View Post
        I am just embarking on a student buy to let for my son & friends. What do I do when it comes to the utilities, after having the meters read before they move in, are the utilities put in my name? If not whose name would they be put in as there will be four of them?
        whoever signs for utilties would be liable to pay for them, how the person who signs recovers cost from other users would be up to that person
        Opinions given are mine, They are not necessarily correct, as the more I learn the less I know, You should always seek professional help.

Comment

Many thanks for all the info

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X