Possession Order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possession Order

I have a possession order. The time given for the tenant to vacate has passed. Would it be best to get the bailiffs in by issuing a warrant or simply go to the property and change the locks since I believe that the tenant has moved out.

If the tenant is no longer at the property, I believe it is safe for you to simply change the locks.
    You may not discard any of the tenant's belongings left there, if any, though.

Comment

Originally posted by moo View Post
      I have a possession order. The time given for the tenant to vacate has passed. Would it be best to get the bailiffs in by issuing a warrant or simply go to the property and change the locks since I believe that the tenant has moved out.
      Presuming the keys have not been returned to you, the only safe way forward is to engage court bailiffs (and a locksmith if you don't have keys) and let the bailiffs give you vacant possession. However, that will take weeks to organise.

Slightly quicker would be to contact the tenant and arrange to meet to hand over the keys and sign a deed of surrender.

Failing that, If the property is totally empty, then many people would risk it and change the locks as soon as possible - to prevent squatters getting in.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
        Failing that, If the property is totally empty, then many people would risk it and change the locks as soon as possible - to prevent squatters getting in.
        If the tenant has vacated, I believe that there should be no risk in changing the locks, whether the keys have been returned or not (?)

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
          If the tenant has vacated, I believe that there should be no risk in changing the locks, whether the keys have been returned or not (?)
          I agree, if the property is totally empty. However, if there is a tatty old sofa or bed left behind, it becomes more difficult to totally prove that the tenant is no longer in residence. Maybe I'm over cautious, I did say that many would risk it.

Comment

I see your point, thanks.

Comment

There are some old items of furniture at the property. If I change the locks (which I think I will do) how long do I have to wait and how long do I have to try and make contact with the tenant (who is ignoring my emails, phone calls and text messages probably because he owes quite a lot of rent which I will sue for separately) before I can get rid of the furniture?

Comment

The bad news is here: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/uncollected_goods.htm

As the property is not empty, you really should be contemplating waiting until the bailiffs do their stuff.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• if we haven't signed the renewal are we still liable?
                  Lexy333
                  Our 6 month short term assured tenancy agreement ended on the 2nd August. We are with a reputable agency. We were invited to renew for a further 6 months back in July and were asked to email our confirmation that we wish to renew in writing. This I did. We were sent the renewal tenancy to sign. We have...
                  22-08-2017, 14:00 PM
                • Reply to if we haven't signed the renewal are we still liable?
                  mariner
                  I would say your original AST continues as SPT.
                  If now a new verbal AST, you may have a new fixed term and you cannot serve NTQ during fixed term (6 months?).
                  Talk to LL directly, rather than LA.
                  Why did you agree to a new AST, rather than request rolling over to SPT....
                  23-08-2017, 00:30 AM
                • 6 year deposit claim
                  MaliaZ
                  Hi guys, I know that a tenant can claim a penalty on an unprotected deposit but I just wondered when the 6 year clock starts ticking.
                  22-08-2017, 16:43 PM
                • Reply to 6 year deposit claim
                  mariner
                  As memory fades over time, can someone provide a 'sticky' for dates when key elements of LL&T Legislation changed? I believe Apr 2012 predates later deposit timescales.
                  23-08-2017, 00:08 AM
                • NTQ during fixed term?
                  vpltd
                  Hi,
                  Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
                  (A residential let in England.)
                  VPL.
                  11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
                • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
                  Wright76
                  It's worth noting that guidance is under part 4 where tenant obviously is given notice to end of a period and therefore apportionment would not be applicable.

The reference to the notice to quit ending the tenancy on the notice date does not change the fact that it obviously does however,...
                  22-08-2017, 23:24 PM
                  Wright76
                  I think thats exactly what the section I have just quoted confirms.

And thereafter, if you choose not to accept they are leaving as a result of the section 21 you must insist on a notice to quit or await a court ordering possession (where you will be ordered to apportion anyway)
                  22-08-2017, 23:13 PM
                  mariner
                  A lot of energy has been expended in this debate. It has been suggested a LL has no need to take Court action if T apparently vacates after receiving a s21 but with no Notice. LL cannot safely assume has vacated without Court confirmation, to avoid a T allegation of 'illegal eviction'. Equally I would...
                  22-08-2017, 23:00 PM
                  Wright76
                  If someone could copy and paste section 21 (4) a and b (I'm really not technical!), the law seems to recognise that a tenancy CAN end as a result of a section 21 and before a possession hearing.

21(4)b........the tenancy could be brought to an end by notice to quit given by the landlord...
                  22-08-2017, 22:38 PM
                • Reply to 6 year deposit claim
                  KTC
                  Assuming that the money originally paid had been used as a deposit for the single tenant tenancy, then 6 years and 30 days from when the 2012 tenancy started. And... if that was a fixed term tenancy, then 6 years and 30 days for any subseqent renwal and likewise from when it went periodic.
                  22-08-2017, 22:22 PM
                Working...
                X