Damage by lodger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damage by lodger

My lodger is moving out shortly. There is some damage to my property even though she has only been living here a few months.

The agreement she signed (the standard legal one) confirms that she will receive the deposit back minus any damages.

However I have been reading up on similar situations and it looks like I have to request the money from her and she has to agree?? Or can I just deduct costs? I need to get quotes for the repairs still.

I have another lodger and I live here myself too and I didnt take an inventory (as there is so much stuff in my property) so if I had to prove the damage I prob wouldnt get very far (tho she has admitted to one of the things - I havent approached her about the other things yet as I wasnt sure I should mention anything until the day she moves out).

Surely the point in me taking a deposit tho means I should be deducting some money for repairs?

Thanks

The deposit money belongs to the lodger. You can't make deductions without her agreement (or unless a court says you can). If she won't agree the deductions, and you don't return the deposit, then she could bring a county court claim against you for return of the deposit (her money), and unless you could prove the damage, and that she caused the damage, it's unlikely you'd win.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am aware that the money belongs to the lodger however am surprised at this response; as I am also renting an apartment elsewhere (as a tenant) and they have a list of deductions they will automatically make for damages! Also I have been deducted 'cleaning' costs by previous landlords which was ridiculous. I am not trying to take money off her for cleaning or anything just for the damage she has made to to my floors and walls. It was covered in her agreement that extra special care to be taken with the floors and the standard wording on the legal document she signed is that she gets back her deposit minus damages.

Comment

Originally posted by Elisa1 View Post
        however am surprised at this response; as I am also renting an apartment elsewhere (as a tenant) and they have a list of deductions they will automatically make for damages! Also I have been deducted 'cleaning' costs by previous landlords which was ridiculous.
        Westminster's point remains: tenant may not agree to any deduction in which case a dispute can arise and be settled in court or before the deposit scheme (for ASTs). In such a case it is for the landlord to prove his claim.

Obviously that does not mean that you should not make deductions, just that if you do you will be on shaky ground should the lodger sue, which could be more or less likely depending on the amount deducted.

Comment

Originally posted by Elisa1 View Post
          I am aware that the money belongs to the lodger however am surprised at this response; as I am also renting an apartment elsewhere (as a tenant) and they have a list of deductions they will automatically make for damages! Also I have been deducted 'cleaning' costs by previous landlords which was ridiculous.
          You are entitled to dispute the deductions and make a claim either via deposit scheme adjudication or the county court. There can be no 'automatic' deductions for damage.

It was covered in her agreement that extra special care to be taken with the floors and the standard wording on the legal document she signed is that she gets back her deposit minus damages.
          Yes, but damage which must be proven if the lodger disputes liability for the damage.

Comment

Deduct the money.
            It's unlikely that she will take you to court for it anyway.

If you receive notice that she intends to take you to court, think about paying it back then.
            Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
              by HobbitShire
              Sorry but I must reitterate that she DID provide all documents which were initially requested before both parties signed the lease. This new, rigid requirement for a utility bill only came a day before the agreed move-in date.

This is not a case of a prospective tenant having no paper trail....
              20-01-2022, 01:28 AM
            • Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
              by HobbitShire
              My partner has recently signed a lease through a well known property agent in London.

The lease was also signed by the landlord. References from current + previous employer, landlord, etc, and proof of address were requested before signing, and provided.

Upon signing the lease...
              20-01-2022, 00:57 AM
              by HobbitShire
              Firstly, she already provided the previous lease, along with a document from the municipality of Amsterdam stating that she was registered as living there. I paid the bills as we were living together, and she has closed her Dutch bank account (as is required when you are no longer a resident). I'm sure...
              20-01-2022, 01:11 AM
              by Jon66
              No bank statements with the old address on? These are available freely from your online account, or previous utility bills, council tax bills etc. I find it difficult to accept that they are unable to provide something. I would have concerns if you were my prospective tenant. You need to provide the...
              20-01-2022, 01:02 AM
            • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
              by minorbark
              When you put it like that I'm more inclined to edge towards the S21 route regardless. As much as part of me feels some compassion for the guy and doesn't want to lump more stress on top of someone who appears to be struggling already, as has been said before, none of us are acting as a charity.
              19-01-2022, 22:51 PM
            • Property damaged. Advice please
              by minorbark
              Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
              18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
              by minorbark
              Thank you.

My initial contact with the police was just a phone call to the local station. As I almost half expected they wouldn't give up much info, I didn't particularly push back when they said as much and I left it at that. A formal complaint might fill in a few blanks in the story but...
              19-01-2022, 22:37 PM
              by Hudson01
              A back door way into finding out what did happen (or more info than you have now), is to ask for a callback from the local PCSO who covers the beat area where the tenant lives (go online and start a live chat), he or she will know far more about your tenant that a faceless comms operator at HQ or anyone...
              19-01-2022, 22:17 PM
              by DoricPixie
              Just because someone knocks on your door, even if it crescendos to them banging loudly on your door, it doesn’t mean you have to answer it or have to go and investigate.

If the tenant suffers from mental health issues and the police were sent round because someone thought the tenant’s...
              19-01-2022, 21:47 PM
              by WebLand
              From painful personal experience of this issue... You should formally contact the police, ask them why they broke the door down and ask for compensation. Their lawyer will then write to you with some information which may be useful for you to know (but not giving very much detail). I expect they'll...
              19-01-2022, 21:31 PM
            Working...
            X