Paying first months rent and deposit to agent in cash and they want £15 to accept?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying first months rent and deposit to agent in cash and they want £15 to accept?

I have recently paid for referencing and admin fee for a new property etc

Upon contacting the agent about the first months rent and the 1.5 months deposit I said i would bring it in cash. They have told me there is a £15 admin charge to accept cash? 2% for debit card 6% credit card? I have read through my documents i initally signed and it does say it in the small print (silly i know for not reading it properly!).

It also says that if I pay any subsequent monthly rental payments in cash there is a £15 surcharge. I can sort of understand that from the point of a standing order must of failed if I would have to pay cash.... but can they legally charge me £15 to pay with ready legal tender for my deposit and first months rent?

They have told me it is due to having to have another member of staff witness the money and the 'admin' element of processing it!

Laura

Send them a BACS transfer? The problem with cash no is that banks charge quite a bit for paying cash in, they're obviously passing the charges on.
    <a href="http://www.manchesterpropertygroup.co.uk/" target="_blank">Manchester letting agents</a>

Comment

Payments in cash do incur admin costs if done properly: amount counted in front of you, receipt issued, then probably brought to the bank as soon as possible (this is a cost in time and in bank fees).

So it makes sense to me that they charge you for that.

What is less straightforward is their charge of 2% for a debit card payment? (which most probably cost them a fixed fee <£1).

The question I have for you: Why not just deposit your cash into your bank account and issue a bank transfer?

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post

The question I have for you: Why not just deposit your cash into your bank account and issue a bank transfer?
        Or, get their bank details, and pay it directly into their account.
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I believe they have to give you a method of payment that doesn't incur a fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
            I believe they have to give you a method of payment that doesn't incur a fee.
            What's the legal basis for your belief?
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X