Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for a Gillingham Tenant

Hi all

I'm asking this for my Auntie, who doesn't seem to get a lot of luck with securing somewhere to live longer then a year

Having moved a lot of times now, most tenancies over the years been through letting agents and in her current property after only a year has been served an S21 notice due for expiry in May (because the landlord needs it back to now house his own son) and as she hasn't been sucessful securing anywhere else as it stands, we wonder what her next step should be? been to Council but they don't seem that willing to help I take it she has to wait until homeless in May.. I would of thought with an S21 she would become priority? There is her, an 11 year son and another one in his twenties so ideally needing a three bedroomed property.

Also can someone advise us of the best way to try and find a private landlard in the medway towns (Gillingham/Chatham area of Kent) because I would think that could be her best bet at the moment trying to find a private landlord...

I'm shocked at the way the system can operate and would be extremely thankful for any responses

First thing to note is that she won't be a priority for council help because an s21 is NOT a notice to quit. It merely reserves the right for the landlord to apply to the court for possession. If she leaves at the expiry of the s21, when she has no need to, then she will be voluntarily homeless - and so far as the council is concerned, that's a red rag to a bull!

Most landlords make the first AST only 6 months - a kind of trial run in case things go wrong - so Auntie has been lucky to get repeated 12 month contracts. The clue is in the name - Assured SHORThold Tenancy However, there is no rule that says an AST has to be for 6 or 12 months, she just needs to negotiate a longer contract term, whilst understanding that doing so ties her to the property too.

I'm interested in your last sentence. Which bit in particular shocks you?

BTW - this may be of interest... http://tenancyanswers.ucoz.com/index/being_evicted/0-21

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to My tenant lied to me
      by nukecad
      As it's UC then as a landlord you need to submit a form UC47 to apply to the DWP for a 'Managed Payments to Landlord', which can include an amount for arrears.
      However any repayment of arrears granted will be on a 'pay back at so much a month' basis.

UC47's can now be submitted online....
      03-06-2020, 15:51 PM
    • My tenant lied to me
      by Uklondoner
      My tenant lied to me saying he missed the first universal credit payment. But actually according to one of my friend the payment normally only take two weeks to come directly to the bank account. What can I do? Can I find a way to let the universal credit directly make overdue rent payment? I really...
      03-06-2020, 09:54 AM
    • Reply to Access to sheds
      by endymion
      Well, partly, but mainly I'm considering whether the sheds would have to be explicitly excluded from the tenancy in the AST. It's a question of what would be considered the default position in law....
      03-06-2020, 14:53 PM
    • Access to sheds
      by endymion
      Hi. We have been renting a flat for the past decade under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The flat is one of five in a single block. The back garden contains a large outbuilding comprising ten sheds. Implicitly, then, two sheds per flat. The inventory does contain the wording 'Garages, Sheds, Outbuildings:'...
      03-06-2020, 10:09 AM
      by endymion
      Interesting. I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it. Nonetheless, if the deeds stipulate that the sheds are part of the flat, rather than communal, surely that's quite a different matter....
      03-06-2020, 14:52 PM
      by MdeB
      I believe the OP is coming from the position of:
      • The LL has granted us the right, beyond the tenancy agreement, to use two sheds.
      • Would the law consider that having granted that use, the LL cannot unilaterally withdraw the use of those sheds?
      03-06-2020, 14:48 PM
    • Reply to Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
      by MdeB
      The Government guidance suggests not (under "What will the report show?").
      C1, C2 and F need action; C3 does not (C3 is "safe but not to current standards for new installations"...
      03-06-2020, 14:38 PM
    • Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
      by Ozzie11
      Hi

I noticed a new law means landlords need to arrange an EICR for new tenancies after July 2020 or before April 2021.

Please can I get some advice on this? I started a tenancy in May 2020 - this is due to expire in November 2020. However it is likely the tenancy will be renewed...
      01-06-2020, 10:42 AM
      by AndrewDod
      There may or may not be a lease in that case. But there might be. If there is a lease, then it makes no difference that the lessee and freeholder happen to be the same people. If there are no leases, I cannot see that you have any particular rights beyond the flat that you lease. The presumption in...
      03-06-2020, 14:30 PM
    • Reply to Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
      by jpkeates
      Yes, the tenants have to take reasonable steps.

But the OP didn't mention fans or ventilation and did mention opening the windows "when" bathing or cooking....
      03-06-2020, 14:25 PM
    Working...
    X