Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting agents aren't returning my deposit

Hi!
    I was wondering if you guys could provide me with any hints or tips on my current situation. See, I studied in the UK and a letting agency which I contacted from where I am now, Sweden, trying to get my deposit back. I've got proper documentation, and so far they say they've sent 2 cheques (which I waited patiently for), and can't make an electronic transfer to overseas. This has been going on for about 6 months. I think they're pulling my chain though I don't know how to proceed. They say they can only transfer to a UK account or send another cheque. Please help me out.

Thank you,
    Oliver

All they should need is the proper iban account number to be able to make a transfer to you. Don't forget the country code. If that fails ask them for a Western Union transfer.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
      All they should need is the proper iban account number to be able to make a transfer to you. Don't forget the country code. If that fails ask them for a Western Union transfer.
      Yep. Ask your bank for your account's IBAN and provide it to the agent.
      For Sweden it should be along the lines SEkk BBBB CCCC CCCC CCCC CCCC (B = National bank code, C = account No.)

Any UK bank can transfer abroad using an IBAN. There are fees, but I recall that the sender can select that all fees be paid by the recepient (they'll be deducted from the transferred amount).

Comment

In addition to the above, remember that your contract (and therefore responsibility for the deposit) is with the LANDLORD, not his agent. So, get his contact informantion and start asking him to organise something. If you had to sue for the deposit - it would be the landlord you would sue.

If the agent is a member of ARLA, or a similar organisation, seek their advice.

I am not sure if it is available to overseas people, but you could also try "Consumer Direct", which is the public face of the old "Trading Standards" officers.

Comment

Thank you guys for your input! The thing is I already provided them with my IBAN and BIC code and they say that it can't be processed. They're are a letting agency called Christies in Portsmouth, Hampshire. Here is the transcript for when I recently contacted them:

Sarah (Christies), Feb 5:

Dear Oliver

would you please confirm the details of the off shore account for the deposit to be paid to

Sarah

Me, Feb 6:

Hello again,

The account details are:
          Reference: Oliver ├ľsmark
          Iban: SE21500000000XXXXXXXXXXX
          Bic code: ESSESESS

Thank you for finally clearing this up.

Oliver

Me (Yeh, I had to contact them again to make sure), Mar 13:

Hello again,

I'm contacting you again because I'm wondering how long the process will take until the transaction is completed as I still haven't received the payment yet.

Thank you,
          Oliver

Sarah, Mar 14:

Dear Oliver, I have just checked with our Accounts department and unfortuntaly they have been unable to transfer your deposit into an off shore account. Could you please give alternative bank details, otherwise we shall have to resent a cheque yet again.

Sarah

Me, Mar 15:

Dear Sarah,
          Could you put me in contact directly with someone from the Accounts department as I have just made sure with my bank that I have provided all details necessary, as I would like to get a direct feed from someone who can tell me exactly what the difficulties are.

Thank you,
          Oliver

Sarah, Mar 16:

The difficulty is that we can not make a payment from our account to an offshore account are account type will not allow this action.

We can only transfer into a uk account or payment by cheque.

Sarah

As you can see they keep on procrastinating what I ask them for. Also, I have a hard time taking this girl seriously as she seems to barely be able to spell correctly, which makes me feel like they aren't taking me seriously. I need help figuring out what to do next as I'm not willing to waste another 2 months waiting for a cheque that won't come.

Thank you,
          Oliver

Comment

I'd try to contact the landlord and follow Snorkez's advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X