new tenancy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new tenancy?

My tenant's AST ends in July, if he wants to stay for another year is it best to start a new AST (and pay the letting agent a fat fee!) or can the tenancy he has now just continue?

as Long as you currently have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy in force, unless you draw up another fixed contract, the current one will continue on a periodic basis until either party gives the appropriate notice.

If you do draw up another fixed term tenancy please ensure that you re-protect the deposit with the new dates.

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy35 View Post
      as Long as you currently have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy in force, unless you draw up another fixed contract, the current one will continue on a periodic basis until either party gives the appropriate notice.
      ...but only if the premises are still T's only/main home.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy35 View Post

If you do draw up another fixed term tenancy please ensure that you re-protect the deposit with the new dates.
        Thanks,
        What would the notice period be for a periodic tenancy?
        Also what would the position be with the deposit? Would it just remain protected as it is now?

Comment

Originally posted by Thyrsis View Post
          Thanks,
          What would the notice period be for a periodic tenancy?
          Also what would the position be with the deposit? Would it just remain protected as it is now?
          Tenant - one month, to end on the last day of a tenancy period

Landlord - 2 months notice before court proceedings can be started. Such a notice served during a periodic tenancy must also expire on the last day of a tenancy period.

For a tenancy where rent is reserved monthly, the last day of a tenancy period is always the same day of the month as the fixed term ended.

Deposit would remain as it is now.

Comment

If we allowed the present tenancy to change to a periodic tenancy presumably we could not increase the rent?

The rent was payable in advance on the 30th of the month but there was also a clause in the lease to say the tenant had agreed to pay 12 months rent in advance.
            Presumably I couldn't ask for 12 months rent in advance on a periodic tenancy?

Comment

Providing the rent has not increased in the previous 12 months, you can use the section 13 process to increase the rent.

As the tenant is only tied in for a month at a time, you could not insist on rent for a time when there is no guarantee they will be there. Even if you could - the only thing you could do if they chose not to would be to evict using s21.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Previous tenant paid last gas bill based on wrong estimated reading by gas company
                by jpucng62
                I think the company has an obligation to get an actual meter reading at least every 2 years - during covid they accepted photos in place of sending in a meter reader - you could try getting them to accept at least some of the blame.
                20-01-2022, 15:25 PM
              • Reply to Tenant would like loft conversion - dilemma
                by Hudson01
                To agree with the above comments, i would not do it. If your tenant came along with a whole load of other builders quoting for the same job then what are the chances you would pick him as being the very best bet ? Just because his is your tenant does not make him the ideal choice..... if anything it...
                20-01-2022, 15:24 PM
              • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                by jpucng62
                Also consider the date of the EPC - the assessment has change a lot since they came in 10 years ago and and old assessment may be out by quite a lot of points or may have had work done that is not reflected in the EPC.

I had a house lose 10 points in 10 years without anything else chan...
                20-01-2022, 15:22 PM
                by jpucng62
                Some upgrades are easy - LED light bulbs, loft insulation; others much more tricky - floor insulation; party wall insulation; some are just very expensive - external wall insulation.

The EPC assessment is not fit for purpose so it is really tricky to know what to do. What I wouldn't do...
                20-01-2022, 15:20 PM
              • Section 21 superseded new Section 21 - Landlord Vs Tenant 1 Vs Tenant 2
                by propster717
                Hi all,

I would be grateful for any advice:

I'm a landlord as follows:

AST - commenced 12/04/2021
                6 month fixed term, now contractual periodic (has not been renewed).
                Tenant 1
                Tenant 2
                (No children)
                Guarantor (relation of Tenant 1)...
                20-01-2022, 15:12 PM
              • Reply to Ending of a tenancy
                by Jon66
                I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but I do not wait for tenants to move out before marketing the property, and I sign the new tenancy agreement providing the current tenant has not attempted to rescind the notice/everything seems to point to them leaving, when they said they would. A 6 week...
                20-01-2022, 15:07 PM
                by jpucng62
                The last 20 years may have been the 'golden years' for BTL. There is more regulation & higher taxation on BTLs; mortgage costs are going up; tenants are getting more rights & EPC C is coming.

The stock market is the place to go instead - £20k per year in an ISA means all tax is...
                20-01-2022, 15:07 PM
              • Reply to N244 Application Notice Q10 Evidence
                by rapid111111
                Thanks for the reply. This is a different case.
                The defendants are asking to set aside. Any paperwork sent to me has come from the courts only and not them.

I've provided the defendants and the court with paperwork in preparation for the hearing to set aside....
                20-01-2022, 15:03 PM
                by davetg
                I still can't think of a better thing to invest in even given all the new regulations. The lessons i have learnt are:-
                1) Never let to people on benefits.
                2) Don't over leverage your borrowing.
                3) Have access to spare funds for unexpected things like a new boiler being required or...
                20-01-2022, 15:00 PM
              • Reply to Possession hearing
                by davetg
                The two I have done were quite informal - the tenants didn't show up so I had to wait quite a while as they give every opportunity for them to arrive late.

I was shown into a room with the judge sitting at a big table and offered a seat on the other side of the table. The judge looked at...
                20-01-2022, 14:49 PM
              Working...
              X