Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tenant wants to end first tenancy early

Hi

My two tenants signed their first Assured shorthold tenancy in July 2006 (the duration was for 6 months).

now one of the tenants want to leave in a week and has found a new tenants to take their place. They want me to vet the new tenant and give her the ok to move in.

Whats the best way to deal with this? I know that legally they need to see their first 6 months through before leaving. however I am happy to allow a new tenant to move in.

What do i do about the deposit as the previous tenants paid it jointly and have a joint receipt?

is it better to start all over again i.e. new tenancy, new deposit receipts etc..

I appreciate any help.

Under these circumstances a new 6 month AST agreement should be drawn up, deposits refunded and new deposits collected from the remaining old and new tenants.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

A joint tenancy is ended if one of the parties to the agreement decides to terminate the joint tenancy. The joint tenants are individually and severally liable for the rent up until the endof the original six month term.

Has the leaving tenant notified you in writing of his/her intention to vacate the property and when? If you don't have this in writing you could get involved in a future illegal eviction allegation. A weeks notification is much too short and if you agree changes can take place those changes are best effected after the end of a rental month.

It may be best if both tenants nominate the replacement tenant as you will need to help the original joint tenants mitigate their potential losses.

Confirm that if the new tenant satisfies the criteria of your vetting agency you will be willing to issue a new six month joint AST for the remaining tenant and the new replacement tenant. The new AST will be dated to begin on the same date of the month as the original six month AST. Ask them to endorse a copy of your letter to acknowledge its receipt and that they agree to your suggestions.
      Vic - wicked landlord
      Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
      Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
        pdmalik
        Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
        23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
      • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
        wfd_property
        So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

Are you able to say which university city this is?...
        24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
      • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
        Manchesterlandlord
        hi there

had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

t...
        24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
      • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
        wfd_property
        Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
        24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
        KTC
        "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
        24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
      • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
        Jcg76
        I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
        Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
        24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
        nukecad
        At the moment you they pay rent and it's your property.

With rent-to-buy you are proposing that they agree, in principle, to buy the property off you after a certain time for a price agreed now.
        And at the end of that time they can still walk away without buying.

In the...
        24-07-2017, 20:56 PM
        jpkeates
        Just rent to them while they buy it and sell it to them as though they weren't tenants.
        Anything else is fraught.

When the sale completes, they'll be their own landlord - so the lease will be academic.
        Give them the deposit back and you're done....
        24-07-2017, 20:28 PM
      • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
        JP23
        Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
        23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
      • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
        jpkeates
        Unless the OP comes back to confirm whether the charge was pre-agreed and now regretted or simply sprung on them, we're a bit stuck.
        24-07-2017, 19:48 PM
      Working...
      X