Another person signed instead of true T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another person signed instead of true T

Which is normally correct by the way, says that the Tenancy Agreement is signed by another person to the person living in the house or signed by the same person living in the house that will claim it is someone elses (because the tenancy agreement & inventory signatures are slightly different).

Suggestions?

Paid upfront 6 months. In about 2 weeks ago.

Sorry, I don't know what you're trying to say. D'you mean the occupier of the house is not the same person who signed the AST contract, or what? And what are you worried about specifically?

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
      Sorry, I don't know what you're trying to say. D'you mean the occupier of the house is not the same person who signed the AST contract, or what? And what are you worried about specifically?

That the person who is the "tenant" is not the same person who they pretended to be & not the person who signed the tenancy agreement or signed it with a different signature so they can claim it wasnt them at a later date should it suit their motive.

Comment

Are you saying that the person who lives in the property is not the person who signed the tenancy agreement?

Or are you saying that the person who lives in the property is the person who signed the tenancy agreement, but may subsequently claim not to be?

Are you landlord or tenant? Why do you think this may be a problem?

Comment

Why would they pay six months' rent upfront and then try to forge their signature or claim to be someone else?
          Disclaimer:

The above represents my own opinion, derived from personal knowledge and should not be relied upon as definitive or accurate advice. It is offered free of charge and may contain errors or omissions or be an inaccurate opinion of the law. I accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of relying on the above.

Comment

Originally posted by bhaal View Post
            Why would they pay six months' rent upfront and then try to forge their signature or claim to be someone else?
            Because they are cannabis farmers keen to avoid detection?
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Did anyone witness the signatures? When we let our flat, we meet the T and get the TA and Inventory signed by them, before we sign it off ourselves in their presence.

We also have signature of the T on their credit reference form, and ask for a copy of their passport or photo driving licence, which we check against their original passport/licence when we meet them.

Comment

Originally posted by LesleyAnne View Post
                Did anyone witness the signatures? When we let our flat, we meet the T and get the TA and Inventory signed by them, before we sign it off ourselves in their presence.
                Good idea (as long as they produce a passport or photo driving licence by way of ID check).
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Good question.

Past 28 days & you cant easily evict them as a squatter, prior to 28 days if you try to remove them as a squatter they can then say they have a legal Tenancy Agreement & get damages & court order.

At section 21 time I really havent thought about it in detail but I am sure there will be an angle or two on it.

Comment

Originally posted by NewbyLouis View Post
                    Good question.

Past 28 days & you cant easily evict them as a squatter, prior to 28 days if you try to remove them as a squatter they can then say they have a legal Tenancy Agreement & get damages & court order.

At section 21 time I really havent thought about it in detail but I am sure there will be an angle or two on it.
                    I am struggling to make sense of the above, but I think it can safely be said that if they have moved in at your instigation and paid rent they are not squatters, but tenants.

If they have misrepresented their identities when they signed the agreement, you may have a case against them to obtain a Possession Order under section 8 - I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                      I am struggling to make sense of the above, but I think it can safely be said that if they have moved in at your instigation and paid rent they are not squatters, but tenants.

If they have misrepresented their identities when they signed the agreement, you may have a case against them to obtain a Possession Order under section 8 - I'm not sure.
                      That crossed my mind but I am sure its organised between "tenant" & tenants signature witness on Tenancy Agreement if not further people involved.

Comment

That crossed my mind but I am sure its organised between "tenant" & tenants signature witness on Tenancy Agreement if not further people involved.
                        YOU should witness the tenant's signature, not some third party who you don't know, otherwise how do you know the witness is genuine, never mind the tenant?!?!

Comment

So make an appointment, go round there and ask them to verify who they are and check whether the names they give you match the photo ID and the names on the TA.

Comment

Got that lined up. New Tenancy Agreement coming but I suspect they will refuse to sign it or give further information.

Phone turned off at the moment which is why I think they are going for the 28 days.

Comment

Originally posted by LesleyAnne View Post
                              YOU should witness the tenant's signature, not some third party who you don't know, otherwise how do you know the witness is genuine, never mind the tenant?!?!

Thanks for that.

The support & advice you have given has been wonderful. What an excellent adversary you have been for landlordzone.co.uk

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X