Chasing guarantor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chasing guarantor

Hi, my tenant was taken into hospital half way through his tenancy and then had to go into supported housing. He continued to pay rent for two months whilst he was in hospital, but on going into supported housing defaulted on his payments. I did contact his support worker who assured me that he would repay the outstanding amounts, but this has not happened. He moved out of the flat in November but his agreement was until 18th March 2011. Can I still chase the guarantor for the outstanding money and if yes, does this have to be before the 18th March 2011, when she would have technically finished being liable??

Thanks for any advice.

What sort of paperwork do you have for the guarantee - specifically, was it executed as a deed?
    Have you entered the property to perform any maintainence, or have you re-let it since the tenant left?
    Did you agree to his moving out?
    Do you have any wrtten confirmation that the tenant wated his tenancy to end?

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      The guarantee was done by the letting agent, so I think it was a deed.
      The flat was re-let in February
      He was sectioned under the mental health act and was therefore detained in hospital
      He did not give us any written confirmation of his intention to end his tenancy, even to this day, he has been moved into supported living accommodation now.

Thanks.

Comment

I think you could be in deep, deep trouble for letting the flat when your tenant still had a tenancy running.

Comment

We are lacking detail of the tenancy.
          I surmise T had 6 month AST expiring Mar 2011, he was hospitalised late Nov 2010 and stopped paying rent mid-Dec 2010. Was a deposit taken and protected in DPS?
          The OP certainly made an error unless s/he followed an abandonment process or acted on Social Services advice that T would not be returning & was being re-housed in supported accom.
          No unpaid rent can claimed from T/G from the date the property was re-let (Feb 2011)
          I would suggest any claim from G/deposit should only cover rent due to 31 Dec 2010 and for any damage caused, based on move in/out inspections.
          Personally, I think the OP should be relieved they no longer have a T that was suffering mental health problems and accept a rel low loss.

Comment

Thanks Mariner

It was a 12 month AST expiring in March 2011.
            We were notified by his care manager that he was going into supported accommodation in January 2011 and that all outstanding rent would be repaid; however this has not happened.
            We have been in regular correspondence with the care manager throughout this time. We consulted the letting agent who informed us that the T would be liable for rent until such time as a new tenant was found; new tenants found in Feb 2011.
            The care manager is organising a return of the deposit money through the DPS; what I want to know is can I still chase the guarantor for still outstanding rental money.

Comment

What is the point of having a Guarantor if you dont ask them for any rent shortfall. I would be inclined to work out how much rent was outstanding up to when you re-let it and send a demand to the Guarantor, and wait to see what happens. When you mention the care manager is organising a return of the deposit money why cant you take your rent out of that.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenancy inspection - more than one inspector?
                by templar018080
                Indeed, the contact makes a provision to allow inspections, however, does not specify that the landlord may sue for financial compensation in the event that I refuse one. Would a landlord be brave enough to even insert a clause for monetary compensation or even attempt to sue given the Tenant Fee Act...
                20-01-2022, 13:03 PM
              • Tenancy inspection - more than one inspector?
                by templar018080
                Good evening,

I'm a tenant with an amicable relationship with my agent and landlord.

I've been notified that the landlord and agent would like to inspect the premises at the same time together. (Just a routine inspection.) My question - is there currently anything in the...
                17-01-2022, 18:13 PM
              • Reply to Previous tenant paid last gas bill based on wrong estimated reading by gas company
                by DPT57
                I think that knowing I was responsible for the energy used from the date I moved in I would not just have accepted that no-one knows where the mater cupboard key is. I would have got it open somehow. The ones in my flats can be opened with a flathead screwdriver....
                20-01-2022, 12:41 PM
              • Previous tenant paid last gas bill based on wrong estimated reading by gas company
                by Farrella
                The previous tenant left during lockdown and closed his gas account based on an estimated reading that was too low. I did not realise this until 6 months afterwards as I never took a reading when I moved in, assuming everything was correct (oops). Then the gas company took a reading 6 months later...
                19-01-2022, 16:25 PM
              • Reply to Ending of a tenancy
                by DPT57
                As Artful says, the tenants notice is invalid as its served during the fixed term, (unless you have a contractual periodic tenancy), so you can't legally rely on them moving out and would have no recourse if the changed their minds and stayed on.

New tenants would likely sue you for their...
                20-01-2022, 12:36 PM
              • Ending of a tenancy
                by leasee123
                Hello,

I am a landlord with a tenancy fixed term ending in March. My tenants emailed to say they will be leaving, giving two month notice.

I will be marketing the property to find new tenants. How do I know that am I protected from the event of the tenants staying beyond...
                19-01-2022, 12:42 PM
              • Reply to Tenant in situ
                by Hudson01
                I do fully understand that it is not in yet, but....... what is the EPC ? If a D or E what would it take to bring it up to a C ? Planning ahead and all that.
                20-01-2022, 12:29 PM
              • Tenant in situ
                by Bridge2020
                I’m looking at buying another property to rent out. The one I’m looking at has a tenant in situ. I have seen a copy of the AST and payments to the agents.
                Anyone have any experience of this please ?...
                20-01-2022, 08:29 AM
                by theartfullodger
                Ask tenant (yes tenant) when they 1st moved in. Don't trust agent, vendor, solicitor on this.

If early enough it won't be an AST regardless of paperwork, do no s21.

I did it, but it was student let, therefore I knew they'd not been there a year.
                20-01-2022, 12:08 PM
                by jpkeates
                Yes, I have done this.

I wouldn't do it now though, unless the seller could provide a document signed by the tenant confirming that all of the things that should have been done at the start and during the tenancy had actually been done.
                And, if I were the tenant, I wouldn't sign such...
                20-01-2022, 12:06 PM
              Working...
              X