anti social behaviour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anti social behaviour

would anybody be kind enough to let me know the process of dealing with 'nuisance tenants' and 'anti-social behaviour' (from a landlords point of veiw)

Thanks

It depends on what's gone before/been said.

If you've already tried to speak to them about it and nothing has changed, write to them informing them that they are in breach of tenancy agreement conditions, and that they risk being evicted if it continues.

You haven't said what the behaviour is or how far into the tenancy.

The next bit is your choice:

1. If you want to try to evict before the end of the fixed term, you need to gather evidence of the behaviour. issue a Section 8 Notice, citing the relevant Grounds. Report it to the local Environmental Health team. Get witness statements. The witnesses will need to be prepared to appear in court and give evidence to back up their statements. Ask people to keep diaries of events. Even then, possession is discretionary and the onus is on you to prove the behaviour justifies someone losing their home.

2. Issue a Section 21 Notice now and use the Accelerated procedure to evict them at the end of the fixed term.

Comment

Originally posted by morgans1 View Post
      would anybody be kind enough to let me know the process of dealing with 'nuisance tenants' and 'anti-social behaviour' (from a landlords point of veiw)

Thanks
      The usual procedure in L.A is to make a diariy of events in order to gain all the necessary evidence against the perpatrators, then of course you would need witness statements and it also helps to have evidence on camera and reports from the police.I would advise you contact your LA first of all outlining your complaint they may suggest possibly mediation or if the ASB has gone past that stage to start proceedings but I must stress this could go on for a very long time.Some cases are taking up to 2years plus to even get to court.IMOP the law on ASB needs more tighting up and there should be a fast track approach to it.
      Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Help and advice
        MONGOOSE505
        Hi

Last month, I rented a two bedroom property to a female and her son, no pets,working , Refs checked etc.

This morning I receive a call from the neighbors.

Eight people are now living in the property and un-controllable dogs

I have never had to deal...
        23-07-2017, 09:06 AM
      • Reply to Help and advice
        MrShed
        I'd be seeking a Section 8 repossession on grounds 12 and 14, possibly 17. You will need to establish proof of course, and some of this depends upon what your tenancy agreement says around pets and around visitors/guests/subletting.

The neighbours saying "eight people are living in...
        23-07-2017, 10:32 AM
      • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
        MrShed
        I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
        20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
      • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
        jjlandlord
        The other principles of course apply, but that's not the point.

Tatemono specifically asked if it was OK for him to be sent personal data of the prospective tenant (the filled tenancy agreement to be signed) outside of the EEA.

Principle 8 states that no data may be sent outside...
        23-07-2017, 10:27 AM
      • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
        JP23
        Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
        23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
      • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
        jpkeates
        The landlord can only charge fees agreed (usually in the tenancy agreement).
        23-07-2017, 10:06 AM
      • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
        jpkeates
        That's not how it works.

All of the data protection principles are applied to all personal data, meeting the Schedule 2 criteria enables the processing of data at all (as part of Principle 1), the other principles all still apply.
        Which Schedule 1 makes "clear".
        An Act to make new provision for the regulation of the processing of information relating to individuals, including the obtaining, holding, use or disclosure of such information.
        23-07-2017, 10:02 AM
      • Pros and cons of "DSS" tenants
        Awesomestow
        Mods - apologies if there's already a thread on this, I tried searching given it's bound to have been asked before but the search returned an error.

Having emptied my property (finally!) in February, we've now completed a rebuild programme. It's come in almost on budget and almost on...
        28-05-2017, 20:34 PM
      • Reply to Pros and cons of "DSS" tenants
        AndrewDod
        Glad we could help get your ideas straightened out in your head.

The status of being where "weakness = power" is only going to accelerate.

Weak people should have power. But what we are talking about here is the power to abuse which is something altogether differ...
        23-07-2017, 09:52 AM
      • Reply to Help and advice
        MONGOOSE505
        Q1. England

Q2 Sole tenant

Q3 28/04/2017

Q4 Six Months

Q5 Monthly Rent

Q6 No

Q7 No notices as of yet

Q8 No...
        23-07-2017, 09:46 AM