Electrical Safety Certificate

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Electrical Safety Certificate

    Electrical Safety Certificate -
    What is this and what dose it cover?
    Is there a checklist?

    Is it Just visual or checking with test equipment required?

    What is this and what dose it cover?

    What is this and what dose it cover?
    Is there a checklist?

    Is it Just visual or checking with test equipment required?


      There is no legal requirement to have an electrical safety certificate: you just have to make sure the system and appliances are safe!

      If the property is newish and any appliances still within the warranty period then there is nothing much to do. You only need to check wiring, plugs & sockets periodically (about every 5-7 years), and if you want to have a PAT done each year on any white goods that are, say 3 years old or more then it's up to you.
      The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


        'Electrical Safety Certificate'

        Hello all. I'm new to this forum, and think I might be able to help with a few of your electrical questions.

        There is no such thing as an 'electrical safety certificate'. There is a 'Periodic inspection Report'.

        You do not have to have a PIR. Ever.

        It is a jolly good idea to have one though. The IET wiring regulations recommend that a PIR be carried out on electrical installations regularly. The recommendation is that a PIR is carried out on change of occupancy or every 10 years (whichever is the sooner)

        A landlord is required to provide a tenant with an electrical
        installation in good condition and repair. The landlord should
        maintain the installation in a condition suitable for the use intended,
        and ensure that repairs are undertaken by a competent person. A
        tenant has a duty to ensure that those parts of the installation that
        are his or her responsibility are maintained in a safe condition, and to
        ensure that repairs are carried out only by a competent person.

        The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989
        The requirements of Regulation 4 are:
        1. All systems shall at all times be of such construction as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, danger.
        2. As may be necessary to prevent danger, all systems shall be maintained so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, such danger.

        The PIR is a full inspection of the electrical installation, and should NOT take a couple of minutes! It should take a few hours!

        There is an enormous list of things that we check. (Obviously, I'm an electrician!)

        Once a qualified electrician, who is competent in Inspection and Testing has carried out a PIR on a property it may not be necessary to conduct a full PIR every time one of your tenants move out. For example, some of us offer a VISUAL inspection, when we have already carried out a full PIR on the property recently.

        The PIR may help you to prove that your installation was in good condition before something went wrong.

        Hope this helps.

        PS wwwWhen I have worked out how to use this site, I'll see if I can post a smple IET inspection report for you all to have a look at.


          If your local authority have in place any of the new licensing schemes for rented properties, be it mandatory, additional or selective they can ask the landlord as an additional condition of a licence issued, if they so wish, to have the electrical installations or/and appliances supplied by the landlord to be tested and the relevant test report produced for their inspection.

          Failure to produce the report/test certificate would be a breach of any licence condition placed on the licence holder and therefore leave the licence holder open to prosecution.

          So you would be wise to contact your local authority to see if they are operating any of the licensing schemes in relation to your property. If there are no schemes running, a test isn't required.


          Latest Activity