What is a 'tenancy at will'?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a 'tenancy at will'?

A property I am interested in has come up for sale at auction. It comprises a freehold shop and 2 letting units above. One of the ongoing tenancies is described as a 'tenancy at will'. The legal pack is £100 so I don't want to splash out if it is a big problem.

Can anyone give me a defintion of this and how it may have ocurred? Does this mean the tenant has security of tenure against eviction under S21?

Freedom at the point of zero............

The phrase is a vague expression. Ask your solicitor to investigate closely exactly what rights T might have.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I agree. If the words "tenancy at will" appear in auction particulars a thorough investigation is needed. In fact, you should always assume that if a property is offered for sale by auction there is something dodgy about it. There may not be, but you should assume it. Never buy a property at auction without consulting a conveyancer. Ever. At all. In any way shape or form. Even if it is a bargain. Especially if it is a bargain.

Comment

Thanks Jeffrey and Lawcruncher. Seems I will have to send for the law pack. I have bought properties at auction before with established tenants and all has been well. The guide price on this is low at 50-60K. I suppose I could just call in as it is almost next door to one I own already?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Yes- IF but only if you know what you are doing and are fully clued-up on conveyancing and L&T!
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X