Boiler broken and windows dont lock PLEASE can someone advise me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boiler broken and windows dont lock PLEASE can someone advise me

I have been a tenant with my 3 children for over 5 years. Generally all has been good except my landlord doesnt always finish the job after repairs (i.e bath panel not replaced after work in bathroon and nothing covering the top of oven after oven was condemned and replaced). My double glazed windows on the ground floor do not close completely and can be pulled open from the outside, therefore my insurance is not valid. However my landlord says he cannot afford to replace the windows.
    My boiler has now broken and cannot be fixed and we have no heating or hot water. The reason given was lack of ventillation. Although there is a coffee table over 50% of the floor vent, there is still an inch gap above it and I can feel cold air coming through when I place my hand over it. However as the window doesnt close, fresh air is constantly circulating and also we have polished floor boards that are not sealed and so air is cirulating in this way also. My landlord tried to suggest it was my fault the boiler had broken because of poor ventillation, I dont feel this is true. He has said he can't afford to replace the boiler for 2-3 weeks, this leaves me with no hotwater (even the immersion tank is not connected).
    I have always paid rent on time and have never been a problem tenant
    My questions are:
    1. Does my landlord have a responsibility to fix the window and what are the repercussions if he refuses. What can I do
    2. How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait for the boiler to be replaced
    3. Can I do anything?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP.....

Originally posted by Hmm View Post
    My questions are:
    1. Does my landlord have a responsibility to fix the window and what are the repercussions if he refuses. What can I do
    2. How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait for the boiler to be replaced
    3. Can I do anything?
    Assuming the property is in England/Wales, the LL has statutory repairing obligation under s.11 Landlord & Tenant Act 1985. This includes repairing boilers and windows. Ideally, you should report disrepair in writing (keep copy letter and get a free certificate of posting). See
    http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-fac...ligations.html

I would say a week or two (maximum) to replace the boiler would be reasonable (to allow LL time to obtain quotes, order the new boiler, and carry out the work).

If the LL fails to carry out his repairing obligations, you have various options, including reporting the disrepair to the Environmental Health Officer at the local council (who have the authority to enforce LL's repairing obligations), or arranging for the repairs to be carried out yourself, and deducting the cost from the rent (N.B. there is a strict procedure for this, do not just withhold rent). In some cases, you may have a basis to bring a civil claim for damages against the LL (i.e. compensation) but you'd need legal advice for this.

See this link for more info on the above, including the procedure for arranging the repairs yourself, which you'll find in the section entitled 'Tenants doing repairs'.
    http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...n_private_lets

See also the section entitled 'Risk of eviction?'.

Comment

Thank you this gives me a bit of a clearer picture. However does anyone have any answers to the window situation. I have been refused home insurance because the window cannot be locked and again I have told my landlord but he says the windows are too expensive to replace. If I did have a burglary would I be able to claim against my landlord for not meeting his responsibilities? Or is there another way to make him do this?
      Also, bearing in mind the draughtiness of the room, could I be held responsible for the boiler break down?

Comment

If I did have a burglary would I be able to claim against my landlord for not meeting his responsibilities?
        Possibly, but you would need to seek advice from a solicitor before considering such a claim.

Or is there another way to make him do this?
        I've already explained the options in my previous post.

Also, bearing in mind the draughtiness of the room, could I be held responsible for the boiler break down?
        I don't really understand what the draughtiness has to do with it, or how your coffee table could cause the boiler to break down beyond repair, but if the broker had broken due to your negligence or damage caused by you, then, while the LL would still be obliged to repair/replace it, you might be liable for the cost.

Comment

Thank you again for replying.
          I have a back boiler that has been working perfectly well since I moved in 5 years ago. I contacted my landlord this week when the flames were eratic and when an engineer came he condemned the boiler saying it didnt have enough ventillation and was heavily sooted and dangerous. The engineer explained the boiler needed oxygen to work properly. As I said I have a coffee table straddling part of the floor air vent although there is a gap of about an inch between the vent and the base of the table as well as gaps between the floor boards which I assumed would allow free flow of air and oxygen in the room. I know nothing about boilers and the like which is why I posed this question

Thanks again

Comment

I contacted my landlord this week when the flames were eratic and when an engineer came he condemned the boiler saying it didnt have enough ventillation and was heavily sooted and dangerous. The engineer explained the boiler needed oxygen to work properly.
            And the engineer didn't also explain what was causing the lack of oxygen?

Comment

Is it a gas boiler? If so, has the LL had annual safety checks carried out?

Comment

The engineer said ventillation, but nothing beyond that. I had a gas check about eight months ago....but nothing for 2 years prior to that

Comment

The engineer said ventillation, but nothing beyond that.
                  I think he'd have said if he thought the coffee table was to blame, and told you to move it - that would be the obvious thing to do, anyway. And if it was checked eight months ago, it's surely a point the engineer would have raised then, too.

Comment

Is the boiler in a cupboard or wall-mounted in the open? Sounds like a poor servicing record.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X