Tenant on rolling contract, can i increase rent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant on rolling contract, can i increase rent?

Tenant has come out of 6 month AST can i increase their rent and how much notice do I have to give? Thanks Mark

You can increase their rent by serving a notice under s13 of the Housing Act 1988 (the form of which should be available via either this site's search function or google). You need to give them one month's notice of the rent increase, assuming the rent is paid monthly. This effectively gives the tenant the opportunity to give you notice that they want to end the tenancy instead of accepting the rent increase.
    Disclaimer:

The above represents my own opinion, derived from personal knowledge and should not be relied upon as definitive or accurate advice. It is offered free of charge and may contain errors or omissions or be an inaccurate opinion of the law. I accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of relying on the above.

Comment

NB: L cannot use s.13 if the Letting Agreement contains a rent-increase mechanism of its own.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Read the all notes that come with the notice, carefully, to ensure you have all your facts right and are serving a correct notice and a valid rent increase.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X