redecorating after nightmare tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

redecorating after nightmare tenants

i am having to redecorate the entire groundfloor of a 4 bedroom property after the tenants before had a 'party'
    what is the most efficient and cheapest way of redecorating (i need to redo all the walls- god knows what they did- and replace the kitchen)? i need it to have a luxury feel as the property appeals to a high end market but i dont currently have the funds to really go all out on it...

Must have been some party! What did they damage- and how?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by marge View Post
      i am having to redecorate the entire groundfloor of a 4 bedroom property after the tenants before had a 'party'
      what is the most efficient and cheapest way of redecorating (i need to redo all the walls- god knows what they did- and replace the kitchen)? i need it to have a luxury feel as the property appeals to a high end market but i dont currently have the funds to really go all out on it...
      I recommend you use muted Farrow and Ball colours mixed by someone else more cheaply. They look classy.

You can do a lot worse than Wickes kitchens at the moment.

What's your budget for the entire thing?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
        muted Farrow and Ball colours
        I have no idea what Farrow and Ball colours are, whether muted or not. Is this something I ought to know?

Needless to say I am surrounded at home by muted colours. Even the spalsh of bright colours that offset and highlight the general mutedness are themselves muted.

Comment

It's a mute point, I agree.
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
            muted Farrow and Ball colours
            Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
            I have no idea what Farrow and Ball colours are, whether muted or not. Is this something I ought to know?
            No, no, that's wrong. She meant:
            a. a muted farrow (i.e. a plough-like thing with a silencer); plus
            b. ball colours- 'nuff said...

Comment

the 'party' managed to ruin all walls whether it was with spray paint, ripping up corners of wallpaper or with what i am hoping was some sort of dark drink. they also managed to trash the kitchen, appliances still remain in tact but the units themselves have been smashed and battered. i would upload a photo but i dont have the camera with me.

i have always liked farrow and ball colours, its a great idea to get them mixed up by a cheaper company, thank you for that. and i have never thought of wickes kitchens but those arent some bad deals! i always liked farrow and ball colours too... still holding out for some cheap wallpaper though, bit of a traditionalist

budget overall is about £5000 as i dont want to really cut corners but i would like to walk away with as much of that lot as i can as i hadnt foreseen redoing this property for a while.

Comment

oo i wouldnt mind suggestions for an accent colour too (i rent fully furnished) if anyone has one, i usually do maroon/aubergine colour but im a little bored of that now!

Comment

Go with the more robust worktops though from Wickes.

I am old fashioned strip walls line and paint. As to colours/schemes ask the local agents what the market wants; invite them round to assess for marketing and then let yourself, but they will give advice in the hope of an instruction.

I suppose the property was not insured then.....
                  Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

the property is insured yes but for some reason the insurance company has found a loop hole and are not paying out, i dont want to cause a big fuss over it as i have obviously kept the deposit from the tenants at the time and that will cover the majority of the work i am hoping.

thanks for the counter tip.

Comment

I recommend IKEA - great looking kitchens and inexpensive. Nothing wrong with Dulux paint from Home base (look at Egyptian cotton). Forget wallpaper - that may be your taste but may put off tenants.

Comment

Originally posted by bbva View Post
                        I recommend IKEA - great looking kitchens and inexpensive. Nothing wrong with Dulux paint from Home base (look at Egyptian cotton). Forget wallpaper - that may be your taste but may put off tenants.
                        And expensive if damaged one scratch and it's a total redec. 1000 grade lining paper covers a multitude of sins.
                        We always refer to it as structural wallpaper!
                        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Anyone who decorates their home or rental property in shades of aubergine/dark red should not be surprised if their family or tenants go beserk and trash it. All those programmes on TV about problem families, and any news item about ASBO kids - just look at the colour of the walls. Dark red is like blood and unsettles people no end.
                          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Who said that this property's walls were painted dark red? Maybe that is just the dried blood.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                              Who said that this property's walls were painted dark red? Maybe that is just the dried blood.
                              OP did, in this post:

Originally posted by marge View Post
                              oo i wouldnt mind suggestions for an accent colour too (i rent fully furnished) if anyone has one, i usually do maroon/aubergine colour but im a little bored of that now!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X