No Protected Deposit and need to issue S.21??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Protected Deposit and need to issue S.21??

I rent a property with my husband where the STA is due to end in April. I need to issue a S.21 as I have now found myself in the position where I need to use the premises myself. Unfortunately I did not protect the deposit for my tenant. Should I protect it immediately so that I can then issue the S.21 to expire on the same day the Agreement ends?
    Can someone please advise the best thing to do?
    We have no qualms in giving our tenant the full deposit paid as they have been very good tenants with no problems whatsoever.

Protect deposit asap, don't do anything until you have

Comment

Originally posted by Lou1974 View Post
      I rent a property with my husband where the STA is due to end in April. I need to issue a S.21 as I have now found myself in the position where I need to use the premises myself. Unfortunately I did not protect the deposit for my tenant. Should I protect it immediately so that I can then issue the S.21 to expire on the same day the Agreement ends?
      Can someone please advise the best thing to do?
      We have no qualms in giving our tenant the full deposit paid as they have been very good tenants with no problems whatsoever.
      Hello,

When did the AST start? For how long was the contractual period. Were they tenants or lodgers? Did the annual rent exceed 25k? Or does it now exceed 100k?

Comment

Hi
        The AST started on 26th April 2009 for a two year period. They were tenants, rent does not exceed 25K !
        Thanks Lou1974

Comment

Hi
          The AST started on 26th April 2009 for a two year period. They were tenants, rent does not exceed 25K !
          Thanks Lou1974
          That means that the deposit should have been registered. If you choose to register it, you must do so before the tenancy ends (ie. before April) - and i believe of the 3 companies, the Deposit Protection Service is the only one to accept late registrations. Please note that although I say 'choose', this is actually a legal obligation... (although if the tenants don't come after you, you might decide to run the risk of not registering it and then just returning the deposit to the tenants should the end of tenancy run smoothly!)

All things considered, I would say register it with the DPS, at least that way, you have a good chance of not being fined 3x deposit amount should your tenants become savvy + malicious and decide to take you to court over this issue. This won't guarantee that you won't be fined as it will be a Court decision whether to fine a landlord protecting a deposit late, but other posters on this forum have suggested that late protection of a deposit is looked upon favourably by the courts when deciding whether to fine or not.

And of course, once you have registered the deposit, you may serve your notice - can't remember how long you need to leave it between registration and serving notice however - i seem to remember there being no delay between the two but i could be mistaken.

Best of luck.

Comment

Thank you for your help !

Comment

Just protecting the deposit is not in itself enough to make your s21 notice valid. You must also serve on T the required information, that the deposit is protected etc.

pm
              Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

I have now protected the deposit as of today's date. I now realise I have to submit required info to my T. Should I date this today's date?? or the date the tenancy agreement started, as I should have done this within 14 days after her moving in??

Comment

I have now protected the deposit as of today's date. I now realise I have to submit required info to my T. Should I date this today's date?? or the date the tenancy agreement started, as I should have done this within 14 days after her moving in??
                  You date it on the date you signed/sent it.

I don't really understand how you can say that you have no qualms giving the deposit back, when they haven't vacated the property yet.
                  You could have simply got them to agree to use the deposit as rent if that was the case.
                  Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I just meant as it stands at the moment the T. hasn't done anything to make me think I won't give the deposit back. Of course I won't really know till they vacate!

If my agreement runs out and I haven't issued the S.21 in time to give her two months notice. What should I do??

Comment

Originally posted by Nimbus2000 View Post
                      All things considered, I would say register it with the DPS, at least that way, you have a good chance of not being fined 3x deposit amount should your tenants become savvy + malicious and decide to take you to court over this issue. This won't guarantee that you won't be fined as it will be a Court decision whether to fine a landlord protecting a deposit late...
                      Wrong. There is no sanction for late protection, if done during the tenancy. There were two binding judgments last year which established this. See following links:

http://nearlylegal.co.uk/blog/2010/1...n-eviscerated/
                      http://nearlylegal.co.uk/blog/2010/0...he-high-court/

Comment

Today's date. Keep a copy for your records, and send two copies to T, from two separate post offices, obtaining a free certificate of posting from each.

If my agreement runs out and I haven't issued the S.21 in time to give her two months notice. What should I do??
                        If you served the s.21 during the fixed term, but with less than two months till the last day of the fixed term, the notice would simply expire later than the last day of the fixed term.

Note that when the fixed term expires, if the T remains in occupation, a statutory periodic tenancy will automatically arise (unless you sign a new contract). Same terms as the expired contract, except for any provisions relating to notice.

Comment

Blimey this is all confusing !!!!

Basically I have now done the deposit protection and am waiting for it to appear as cleared. The fixed term ends on 25th April 2011 so I need to give notice on the 25th February 2011. I'm not sure if I am going to move into the premises myself yet (due to me and my hubby seperating!!) so am worried that I will not be able to serve a S.21 in time for the Friday (being 25th).

If the fixed term ends and the contract renews as a periodic agreement, will I then have to give two months notice which would end two months after the notice? even though it is into the periodic agreement?

Comment

Do not panic!
                            You can serve under s.21(1)(b) on any day during the fixed term, once deposit is protected and prescribed information is given to T. You've until 24 April. Such Notice is still just two months', after which you can begin possession proceedings, and this is so even if the two months' period protrudes beyond term expiry (into the SPT).
                            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Does my T. have to sign the Prescribed info? or do I just send them a copy in the post?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                                by OS7
                                Just to close of this thread : telephone hearing took place and after a lengthy hearing - the defendants application to set aside CCJ was dismissed and a CCJ with an instalment order was ordered by the Judge. He said he saw no real prospect of the defendant defending the claim, however to resolve he...
                                30-11-2021, 05:44 AM
                              • MCOL & PCOL
                                by OS7
                                Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
                                04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
                              • Reply to Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                                by meyou5ick
                                I actually signed the terms in the beginning of the contract, and I have not witnessed this before but these guys had another page where they mentioned this. Now my issue is that given how abysmal their service was and me paying from my own pocket, I should have disbanded the contract then. The issue...
                                30-11-2021, 04:32 AM
                              • Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                                by meyou5ick
                                Dear all,

I was letting my place to tenants that were sourced by this estate agent. The estate agent however misrepresented myself and misled the tenants about what's included in the monthly rental cost. The tenant had complained to the agent however, I had to pay for 6 months of services...
                                29-11-2021, 16:04 PM
                              • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                                by AndrewDod
                                Even if you are an AST "tenant", you are tenant of Sarah, not a tenant of Sarah's landlord. If Sarah ceases to be a tenant that does not make you a tenant of Sarah's landlord (nor does any deposit you paid to Sarah have anything to do with Sarah's landlord).

Sarah's right of...
                                29-11-2021, 23:05 PM
                              • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                                by Bert1e
                                Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                                28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
                              • Reply to Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                                by Hudson01
                                Did you use them on a tenant find service only ? If so then read the contract you signed and see what it says about what you are about to do, i use the tenant find service but then let the leases go into periodic, i pay the agent nothing and never have done, maybe if i signed another 12 AST a fee may...
                                29-11-2021, 19:44 PM
                              • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                                by jpkeates
                                There's not normally an issue with the gas certificate timing other than the very first one.
                                That said email is not how you give people documents like that, unless the tenant has agreed to be served them by email.
                                29-11-2021, 18:16 PM
                              • Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                                by Mr. Sparkle
                                About 3 weeks ago I had a gas certificate issued.

I forgot to email the tenant a copy of the document.

I plan to evict the tenant with either a Section 8 or 21 and want to know whether there is any issue regarding the delay to give the tenant the gas cert?

There...
                                29-11-2021, 14:15 PM
                              • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                                by theartfullodger
                                No idea if the GSC you have is OK or not (1st place, you don;t say) or what the timing is for when it should be served. So difficult to answer.

But...

s8 not an issue

s21 see
                                https://nearlylegal.co.uk/section-21-flowchart/

- there's...
                                29-11-2021, 17:50 PM
                              Working...
                              X