Tenant using daughters name for utilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant using daughters name for utilities

My daughter recently served a s21 on her tenant because their lease is up in april and doesnt want to rrenew because the have been consistantly late payers, have been owing 2 weeks rent for 10 months now, trashed her house, running a business from her house(guinea pig farming), not paid the full deposit( so my daughter did not pay into a deposit scheme, which she now has). The tenants went to the local council and questioned the legality of the s21 and was told by a council housing rep that the s21 was not legal because she had not deposited the part deposit into a scheme. My daughter has since found out that the utility bills are in her name rather than the tenants and money is owing on water rates, notthing paid for ten months. Is the s21 still valid or does she now have 2 issue anothe. The tenancy is up on 1st march. Can somebody help her.

Originally posted by Gazza3 View Post
    My daughter recently served a s21 on her tenant because their lease is up in april ................. The tenancy is up on 1st march. Can somebody help her.
    Which is it? March or April?
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Sorry first of april

Comment

The tenants went to the local council and questioned the legality of the s21 and was told by a council housing rep that the s21 was not legal because she had not deposited the part deposit into a scheme.
        Even a part-deposit must be protected. The s.21 notice served was invalid.

Your D must firstly protect the deposit, AND provide T with the prescribed information (keeping copy and obtaining proof of service). After this has been done, she must then serve another s.21(1)(b) notice (keeping copy and obtaining proof of service). The notice must give T at least two months and should not expire before the end of the fixed term (whenever that is...). After notice expiry, D can apply to the court for a possession order.

See
        http://www.depositprotection.com/
        http://www.depositprotection.com/Pub...AgentInfo.aspx
        http://www.letlink.co.uk/GeneralInfo...on/S21_1_B.pdf

D could also serve a s.8 notice, using grounds 10, 11, 12, 13. See
        http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-fac...-8-notice.html

Comment

Sorry first of april
          So I'm guessing the fixed term commenced on the 2nd April 2010?

Comment

My daughter recently served a s21 on her tenant because their lease is up in april and doesnt want to rrenew because the have been consistantly late payers, have been owing 2 weeks rent for 10 months now, trashed her house, running a business from her house(guinea pig farming), not paid the full deposit( so my daughter did not pay into a deposit scheme, which she now has).

If the S21 was served before the deposit was protected then it is invalid.

My daughter has since found out that the utility bills are in her name rather than the tenants and money is owing on water rates,

Your daughter will need to show the letting agreements to the utility companies.
            Start again with the S21 notice, make sure it's filled out correctly. There are thousands of threads on this site about how to go about it.
            I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

yes it was and the water board is about to apply for a ccj for non payment.

Comment

water board is about to apply for a ccj for non payment.
                Not the Water 'Board'; but, anyway, against whom?
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

yes it was and the water board is about to apply for a ccj for non payment.
                  And what did the company say when your daughter telephoned them to explain the situation?

Incidentally - regarding the s21 - this may help http://tenancyanswers.ucoz.com/index..._contract/0-37

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice Needed
                    by Hudson01
                    I am very sorry to hear about the issue, i can add little more to what has already been said above, I am one of those lanldords spoken about in terms of about to sell up........ all that has been pointed out as to why we are all leaving is totally true, it has simply become too much hassle and with...
                    16-05-2022, 20:53 PM
                  • Advice Needed
                    by Confused2022
                    Hello!

I an trying to get as much information and advice for someone whom is very vulnerable and has many health problems.

The issue is they have lived at a property which they’ve rented now for 2 years just over, never missed a rental payment and never had any issues,...
                    15-05-2022, 15:45 PM
                  • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
                    by Hudson01
                    I agree with one of the other posts, Company A should have sorted the whole job, it sounds like a 10 mins job with maybe a collar for the pipework being tightened up and then some basthroom sealant ...........you are right.......... just under a ' monkey'' (Arthur Daley speak) for what is a simple pipe...
                    16-05-2022, 18:46 PM
                  • Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
                    by Laurasplog
                    We have a London flat managed by an agent (full management service).

My husband and I were abroad, and got a call from the council saying the property was leaking sewage into the flat below. We contacted our agent immediately who sent someone around the same day (Company A).

16-05-2022, 12:58 PM
                    by theartfullodger
                    What does your agreement (or terms & conditions sent) with this say about such queries, please? I'd start there first & then probably their complaints process (if they have one)

Is this the lettings agent on the block (of flats) management agent please?

I humbly note...
                    16-05-2022, 16:15 PM
                    by Laurasplog
                    The pipework was found to be sound. I think Company A were there as an emergency "see if it's sewage and shut off the water if necessary". They said it was a pipework problem and a sealant problem. Company B carried out a full audit on the pipes and found it was only a sealant problem....
                    16-05-2022, 14:59 PM
                    by Laurasplog
                    The letting agent engaged all of them. We gave them an instruction to fix whatever the problem was after the notification from the council there was a problem - we pay for a full management service.

I doubt the agency will give us money back because they've paid it out directly to the contractor,...
                    16-05-2022, 14:58 PM
                  • Reply to Buying a tenanted residential property
                    by theartfullodger
                    In November 1979 BoE base rate hit 17% under Thatcher's government. My building society was kind by only raising their rates to 15%.....

IMHO rates will continue to rise. Sorry.

What you are proposing would breach your mortgage terms and possibly result in place being repo'd....
                    16-05-2022, 14:30 PM
                  Working...
                  X