Deposits!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposits!

Moved out my rented property on the 31/01/2011 and applied for my deposit back, he has rejected it today and said he wanted the full amount. bearing in mind he will not answer calls or txt to sort this matter out.. went to his solictor today to pick up invoices of work he has already carried out..
    Basically we never had any check in inventory and because he was being akward made a renting company meet us at house with keys and did a check out inventory. On the inventory from them it said house is in good condition but requires a window clean. then when picked up invoices from solictor he is now trying to charge us for all sorts of things.
    Where do i stand??
    As he was orginally a friend but didnt like the fact we ended out tenancy he went funny, as he was putting house on market and expecting us to stay there, everything we wanted to do in property we asked him, now he is trying to say no written permission given etc.
    I just give up its giving me so much stress but dont see why i should just let me keep my money when there id absolutly nothing wrong with it, well it cant be for it to have gone straight on the market a day later.
    can anyone help me please?? thanks

When did the tenancy start? Was the deposit protected? If so, the deposit protection service (whichever your LL used) will have to decide whether the release some or all of the deposit to you. If there was no check-in inventory, I think this will not present a good case for your LL as it is then merely his word against your as to the condition at the start of the tenancy.

Comment

thanks for your quick reply, tenacy started in dec 2007 and its registered with dps. iv tried to get my depoist back and he rejected what do i do next and how do i go through the process of it?
      He is trying to say things like iv taken abit of door frame off and stuck the same bit back on, i wouldnt have a clue where to start, its just down to poor workman ship, where the wood is bowed.
      He had one of my partners work collegues go in and clean the carpets, if though we had it all done before we moved out, (he didnt relise my partner new him), when picked up invoices this morning my partner rang him as it said on invoice property showed signs of dog hairs even though i have a toy poodle that doesnt malt, he said the lardlord paid him etc to right that on quote, shall i get that in writing from the carpet cleaner???

Comment

Given the circumstances as presented, you appear to have a strong case.

Perhaps try the TDS arbitration route?

ML
        Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

how to i go about applying for that, and what if he turns that service down have i got to then take him to court or does he take me?

Comment

Originally posted by rubyroo View Post
            how to i go about applying for that, and what if he turns that service down have i got to then take him to court or does he take me?
            Firstly, are you with TDS or DPS?? The procedures of both companies differ in what you have to do to get the money back.

Secondly, if your landlord has already turned down arbitration (rather than just rejecting your attempt to get your deposit back), then the only route left for you is Court... ie/ Money claim online. It doesn't matter if you take him to court or if he takes you. But don't sit around thinking you'll save £40 by waiting for him to take you to court. You could be waiting for ever...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X