Waiting in for plumbers etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waiting in for plumbers etc

First time L - T claims that it is our responsibility to wait in for plumbers, etc - is this the case? Tenancy agreement says that it is their responsibility to arrange an appointment, but tenants say that I have to be there to let the tradesmen in. My wife thinks that it is their responsibility - who is correct?

I always try to get the tenant to make arrangements with my usual tradesmen themselves and arrange appointments to suit them.If this cannot be done then I will make myself available to allow access to the property.It's a case of give and take.

Comment

Originally posted by papachaf View Post
      First time L - T claims that it is our responsibility to wait in for plumbers, etc - is this the case? Tenancy agreement says that it is their responsibility to arrange an appointment, but tenants say that I have to be there to let the tradesmen in. My wife thinks that it is their responsibility - who is correct?
      If the repair/maintenance is something for which the LL is liable then it is logical that the LL should arrange for the plumber to come and if necessary attend himself.

However, most Ts would be willing for the plumber to be given a key if they cannot be at home. If they are bit precious and are unwilling to allow this, or if the reapir is something for which they are liable, then I would expect them to stay in.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Householders, whether owner-occupiers or tenants, must expect to deal with tradesmen from time to time. There is nothing in the landlord-tenant relationship which says that the LL must supervise maintenance or repairs in the tenants home.

In the end it comes down to what is reasonable. If the tenancy is a new one and immediate repair/maintenance is required because LL has neglected to do something he should have done, then perhaps the LL should supervise as well as pay for the work.

If the TV or washing machine breaks down halfway into the tenancy then I think it is the tenants responsibility to be on site when the repair is carried out. If the LL is paying for the repair it is very likely that he/she will want to choose the Contractor but will leave it for the Contractor and Tenant to fix a suitable time.

Comment

Thanks for this everyone. Essentially what I thought - we are attending for some minor jobs (one radiator not working, needs fixing and door handle came off in my wife's hand as she was locking up for the last time ) for which we are responsible.

However, tenants have the view that everything to do with repairs is our responsibility - i.e. they phone up and we arrange for plumber to attend and we go over to let him in. Essentially, for minor repairs which one would expect to come up during the course of living in a house, we pay but they make themselves available to let the plumber in?

Comment

I think it's unreasonable to expect the T to wait in if it means them taking time off work. But as MTG says, if the T insists on being present then there's little point in LL also attending (unless it's the sort of repair where it's advisable to see the finished result before paying).

Make sure that the 'minor jobs' are in fact LL's responsibility. Tenants must behave in a tenant like manner and this includes doing 'little jobs about the place which a reasonable tenant would do.' See http://www.letlink.co.uk/case-law/di...keen-1954.html

Comment

You cannot simply offload your repairing duties onto T.

Having said that any reasonable T would work with you and yours sound like they are expecting some sort of concierge service along with their letting.

I'd be a bit of a muppet if I expected my LL to pop round to let in a plumber etc, they live 2 hour drive away LOL. Have had to change work schedule before now so a plumber could attend but it was in my interest to get the boiler working again!

When I rented through a LA and I couldn't be there then they passed keys onto tradesmen. Left mugs out and usual gubbings for tea/coffee etc.
              I'm a good tenant with great landlords
              I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X