Non-paying tenant: how soon can I evict?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichieP View Post
    I would have thought anyone being evicted for rent arrears is classed as "intentionally homeless" regardless of the reason.
    Thats very harsh, if you dont have the money to pay the rent how is it intentional? do you have a link to this somewhere as I find it very hard to believe, witholding rent is intentional but not having the means to pay it is another matter altogether.

Comment

I'm just commenting from my experience of working with local authorites. They're the ones that make the decision on someone's housing need.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-156.cfm

Comment

Originally posted by mtenant View Post
        Thats very harsh, if you dont have the money to pay the rent how is it intentional? do you have a link to this somewhere as I find it very hard to believe, witholding rent is intentional but not having the means to pay it is another matter altogether.
        Unfortunatly that is the way the law is.
        Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

Comment

well actually no, it isn't .. There is also provision within the Housing Act for being made homeless as a result of inaffordability of the rent.

e.g. If a person, through no fault of their own, lost their job and was subsequently unable to maintain rental payments, or indeed mortgage payments, then they CAN be classed as Homeless under the Housing Act if they are in priority need.

Originally posted by pms View Post
          Unfortunatly that is the way the law is.
          Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X