Tenants Disturbing Neighbours -Police called on number of occasions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenants Disturbing Neighbours -Police called on number of occasions.

We started renting out our home in city `A` as both my partner and I had to take quick transfers with work and now live 250 miles away. We advertised the house (2 bedroom terrace) on a web site and rented it to two guys who seemed very nice.
    Everything was going fine till we popped back to carry out a few routine repairs about a month ago. Where we were aproached by one of the neighbours who informed us that on a number of occasions the police had been called to the property in the early hours of the morning to break up fights and general yobbish behaviour. We confronted the two guys who came clean and promised that it was a one off event.

We went to the local police station to enquire what had happend and were told in no uncertain terms that they couldnt tell us if anything had even happend because of data protection.

The guys have signed a contract ( A standard thing bought from WHS smiths). this runs out in just over 2 months. We have told them that there contract will not be renewed and they will be needed to vacate the house by this date.

We gave our contact number to the neighbours who phoned us last night to at 3am to say the police were there again and it was all starting again. We phoned the police (with the PC`s number who was there) and again we got fobbed off with data protection.

We have been informed by the neighbours that there is damage to the house.

Is there anyway of removing them from the property sooner than waiting for the contract to end in 2 months?

By told do you mean by serving a valid S21 ?
    I'm a good tenant with great landlords
    I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

yes we got a copy off this site and gave them 2 1/2 months notice.

I have thought about visiting them and offering full deposit back if they leave before this date.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
        yes we got a copy off this site and gave them 2 1/2 months notice.
        Can you give us the date (dd/mm/yy) the tenancy started and how long the term was for (6/12 mths).
        Did you take a deposit? If you did, have you protected it and given the tenants the prescribed information?

Comment

Well bribery is always an option. It tends to leave a bad taste in my mouth though. For good Ts like myself it narks me to see bad Ts getting away with it all the time (hear of some Ts getting thousands to just leave!).

Good to hear that you care about your neighbours but only fool-proof way of getting rid is S21 no fault route which is actionable in a couple of months should they not go (if they don't go for your offer).

Personally I'd like to see what the damage is before offering. If minor or you think could be cheap to fix then a word saying you'll give whole deposit back if they move quickly I would think they might go for.

If they do go for it .... get a deed of surrender.

Comment

They have copy of deposit account. There tenancy 1 is 6 months from 8th october. The other guy agreed a short tenancy and signed a 3 month agreement (so it ran the same dates as the 1st guy). He agreed and signed this. As we were going to sign the property over to a letting agency.

They have both been given till the 15th april with a notice served on the 30th Jan

Comment

By law you needed to have put their deposit into a deposit protection scheme. At this late stage you need to use DPS (actual cash required) and give Ts the prescribed info (template on DPS website). Your S21 is invalid because of this and also because of the dates. The dates must tie in with the agreement(s).

Another complication is that the T under the 3 month AST cannot be evicted before 6 months has elapsed :/

Comment

Originally posted by Brb View Post
                Another complication is that the T under the 3 month AST cannot be evicted before 6 months has elapsed :/

Oh, so even if he has agreed and signed for 3 months he is still entitled to 6 months?

edit: and including damage to property and upsetting neighbours - does this not class as breaking there tenancy agreement (it is stated it T&C of contract that they should cause no problems for surrounding properties.

Comment

That's interesting Brb how do you go about giving the DPS cash? I have just advised a colleague on late protection and he said there seemed to be a 14 day cut off and he is 4 months late.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Sorry by cash required I mean that it's not insurance based as with the other 2 schemes. Not literally cash, bank transfer of full amount of deposit.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying that. Cash does and always will means notes to me!

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
                        Cash does and always will means notes to me!
                        These days it means coins for us

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
                          There tenancy 1 is 6 months from 8th october.
                          So 8/10/10 to 7/4/11?

The other guy agreed a short tenancy and signed a 3 month agreement
                          So, 8/1/11 to 7/4/11?

What was the property description on both of these tenancy agreements - was it for the entire property or for a specific room?

Comment

Couldn't a section 8 ground 14 (antisocial behaviour) be used and a possession order applied for immediately?
                            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                              Couldn't a section 8 ground 14 (antisocial behaviour) be used and a possession order applied for immediately?
                              Two occasions of 'antisocial behaviour', months apart and involving no harm to others except annoyance from noise is probably a waste of court fees unless there are also at least two months' arrears.
                              Disclaimer:

The above represents my own opinion, derived from personal knowledge and should not be relied upon as definitive or accurate advice. It is offered free of charge and may contain errors or omissions or be an inaccurate opinion of the law. I accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of relying on the above.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X