Landlord/Tenant: two cultures, no mutual comprehension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord/Tenant: two cultures, no mutual comprehension

I often read on this forum that either the tenant or the landlord have "ripped" each other off.My own opinion is that we now have two cultures the landlord and the tenant.The tenant who thinks he can live "rent free" and the landlord who thinks he can flout the law by making "unreasonable deductions" from monies that he is holding.Perhaps someone can tell me why Landlords and Tenants can't come to a compromise.A friend of mine issued a S21 NOTICE on the 15th of Febuary this year ending on the 13th May,the tenant refused to leave the property after the the court granted an order on the 4th Aug today he has been granted a baliff's warrent.Obviously that is a problem with the system.But yet another problem from information gained from the landlord of the local pub across the road the tenant moved out on the 21st August.So now my friend has lost out on rent,court cost's etc.Isn't it about time attitudes changed from both landlords and tenants + isn't it about time the law was changed to make it fairer on both parties.
    Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

The problem of this forum pms is that we only read of the cases where landlord tenant relationships go wrong. We do not have eulogies from tenants in praise of good landlords (or vice versa) but there are many, many house let with satisfied landlords and tenants.

Agree with you absolutely that the law is too much biased in favour of the 'professional' tenant who is able to run rings round most landlords.
    Vic - wicked landlord
    Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
    Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Originally posted by pms View Post
      I often read on this forum that either the tenant or the landlord have "ripped" each other off.My own opinion is that we now have two cultures the landlord and the tenant.The tenant who thinks he can live "rent free" and the landlord who thinks he can flout the law by making "unreasonable deductions" from monies that he is holding.Perhaps someone can tell me why Landlords and Tenants can't come to a compromise.A friend of mine issued a S21 NOTICE on the 15th of Febuary this year ending on the 13th May,the tenant refused to leave the property after the the court granted an order on the 4th Aug today he has been granted a baliff's warrent.Obviously that is a problem with the system.But yet another problem from information gained from the landlord of the local pub across the road the tenant moved out on the 21st August.So now my friend has lost out on rent,court cost's etc.Isn't it about time attitudes changed from both landlords and tenants + isn't it about time the law was changed to make it fairer on both parties.
      This is exactly what i am going through right now with my Landlord. he is refusing to repair locks at the back (currently anyone can push the door and walk in). he has refused to install elecric and gas meters and also refuse to issue us with gas and electric certification and to add salt to injury he decided to break in. i called the Police and he has now been forced to stay away from the house . I have let the council to deal with him but he has failed to speak to them claiming he has nothing to do with the council consequently he has lost this month rent and I am not going to leave till he goes to court. and writing to him is a waste of time. he has not paid the mortgage since Match 2006 and he has not paid his builders who are taken to court since March . his house is going to be repossessed most probably next week and he is still driving a convertible Merk.
      all he had to do was to comply with the law but he wanted to cheat so now he is going to pay for it big time.

a landlord i had once was excellent. you could talk to him and resolve any problem without a contract without direct debit. i used to put the cash in the flat and he used to come in and take it once a month and i never had any issue with him.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
        a landlord i had once was excellent. you could talk to him and resolve any problem without a contract without direct debit. i used to put the cash in the flat and he used to come in and take it once a month and i never had any issue with him.
        An excellent landlord?? Hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
          <snip>a landlord i had once was excellent. you could talk to him and resolve any problem without a contract without direct debit. i used to put the cash in the flat and he used to come in and take it once a month and i never had any issue with him.
          Eric I think ATI meant he could trust the landlord to enter his tenanted property and collect the rent when due! No doubt you have had working tenants who would like to offer the landlord freedom of access to save themselves the inconvenience of being in for contractors etc. i.e they would like a serviced flat!!

There can be a friendly arrangement that respects the tenant's right to privacy but does not exploit the landlord as a service contractor

A landlord should be cautious in accepting casual and too frequent invites by the tenant to visit in their absence but aim for friendly but businesslike relationships.
          Vic - wicked landlord
          Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
          Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant's energy debt.
            Gordonmrln
            I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
            20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
          • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
            mariner
            AFAIK LCS are just collection Agents for B Gas, not Bailiffs. They have to get B Gas approval for further action.
            Did you/wife receive/request actual B Gas itemised Bill for disputed period?
            Talk to B Gas Debt team.
            You may have to provide evidence of identifiable start/end meter readings
            27-07-2017, 03:48 AM
          • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
            IoIo
            Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
            26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
          • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
            mariner
            IOLO brownie points for providing required info upfront.
            As LL, I normally pay for move in report and T for move out report.
            Joint Ts are equally liable for 1 report.
            2 ways seem avail to you-
            1. Complete a move out condition report in first week of Aug and claim for any T damage...
            26-07-2017, 23:23 PM
          • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
            Gordonmrln
            Dear wright76, I don't have a mental condition, but a learning disability I suffer with Dyslexia and have been psychologically tested and diagnosed with the Dyslexia condition. It seems that everything I've said or tried to do so far here is all negative and I'm doing everything wrong apart from sending...
            26-07-2017, 23:01 PM
          • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
            BouwensPB
            I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
            26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
          • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
            AndrewDod
            Quite. Explain how you managed to get this tenant in the first place - and via some shady outfit as well. Seems as if all eyes were off all balls....
            26-07-2017, 22:56 PM
          • S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
            BlueMystery
            I have a tenant who the local council have provided the deposit bond for. He has been nothing but a pain paying his rent and has always been 1 month late or 6 weeks maximum, paying at the end rather than the beginning. He was initially on a 6 months AST, which reverted to one month rollover in the absence...
            26-07-2017, 19:21 PM
          • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
            KTC
            That ....
            26-07-2017, 21:41 PM
          • Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
            Paul4321
            Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

I already...
            20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
          Working...
          X