Responsibility for repair fixtures and fittings when AST comes to an end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Responsibility for repair fixtures and fittings when AST comes to an end

My AST ceases in 7 days time, after a 3 year occupancy.

There are a few items I am about to let the managing agents now about which are clearly the landlord responsibility e.g. broken toaster and fan in bathroom.

But anyone one know what the score is with 2 other items?:

- Glass lampshade somehow worked itself loose on lampshade and fell off and smashed – its quite an expensive lamp and I never got round to telling the agents

- One of the breakfast bar stools has a loose stool that requires rescrewing/ bonding (unfortunately this is well beyond my non existing DIY skills)

Any help much appreciated.

Why do you consider the toaster to be the landlords issue? What does the tenancy agreement say about kitchen equipment?

I would say the lampshade and stool are your responsibility and you will be expected to either put them right, or pay for them to be put right. Neither of them are the kind of things where 'fair wear and tear' apply (well, maybe a small amount for the stool).

When did the fan stop working, and when did you tell the agents? It is a tenants responsibility to act in a "Tenant like" manner (Lord Denning), and if the fan has not been working for some time, it is likely to have lead to a build up of condensation, which may in turn result in mould/mildew problems. These would be your responsibility if you have failed to tell the agent in good time.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
      Why do you consider the toaster to be the landlords issue? What does the tenancy agreement say about kitchen equipment?
      If kitchen equipment provided by landlord and tenancy agreement is silent, I believe that T is responsible for repairs and LL is responsible for replacement providing tenant is not at fault.
      I don't believe anyone would repair a toaster...

Comment

How is the tenancy ending? Did you give notice?

Was a check-in inventory/condition report carried out at the start of the tenancy?

Did you pay a deposit and is it protected?

The toaster isn't the LL's responsibility if the tenancy contract doesn't say he's responsible for electrical/kitchen appliances. The glass lampshade and stool are your responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
          and tenancy agreement is silent,
          Yes, but we can't assume that and have OP going away with the wrong impression.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
            Yes, but we can't assume that and have OP going away with the wrong impression.
            Yep, hence my default reply. It's up to the OP to provide details of his agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by notchuffed View Post
              Glass lampshade somehow worked itself loose on lampshade and fell off and smashed – its quite an expensive lamp and I never got round to telling the agents
              How, exactly, does a lampshade "work itself" loose?
              Or have you had some overly rambunctious lounge or bedroom entertainment?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X