Having Water Meter Turned Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having Water Meter Turned Off

I rang the water company at beginning of the year to inform them new tenants had moved in and was told that there was a meter installed. This is news to me. I asked when the meter was installed. They reply 2008. I didn't ask if it was for the whole block or just my flat as I can't see any meter outside the property. The propery is in a block of flats.

I have a family of 4 moved in who have seen the 1st month bill of £50 and have complained to me. They are saying would prefer to have a flat charge. Do you know if you can ask water company to turn off the meter (not remove it, just turn it off) and go on an unmetered service?

I've read elsewhere you can have it removed within 12 months but that has lapsed and I didn't know about it as it was on a long-term contract with a local agent.

How should I approach this?

I understand that it varies from one water suplier to the next - so phone yours up and ask. They probably won't physically remove it even if they allow you switch to flat rate - just leave it in place but not use the readings.

Comment

Thanks Fletch.

Comment

Is it possible that your tenant is being asked to pay for some of the previous tenant's water? Did anyone take a reading when they moved in?
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Handson View Post
          I rang the water company at beginning of the year to inform them new tenants had moved in and was told that there was a meter installed. This is news to me. I asked when the meter was installed. They reply 2008. I didn't ask if it was for the whole block or just my flat as I can't see any meter outside the property. The propery is in a block of flats.

I have a family of 4 moved in who have seen the 1st month bill of £50 and have complained to me. They are saying would prefer to have a flat charge. Do you know if you can ask water company to turn off the meter (not remove it, just turn it off) and go on an unmetered service?

I've read elsewhere you can have it removed within 12 months but that has lapsed and I didn't know about it as it was on a long-term contract with a local agent.

How should I approach this?
          Probably by grinning and bearing it.

I had that happen to me in the last 2 years. Unfortunately in my case the installation of the meter appears to have precipitated a crack in the water pipe below floor level, and they didn't tell us about the resulting trickle leak either which we found after umpteen months when they had gone. As a result we had a plumber digging a hole in the floor.

This is one where a tenant has a legal right to make a permanent change behind your back, and usually there's not a lot you can do - all as part of the drive towards water meters.

You can put it in your agreement that the water meter will not be changed (or apply a charge?), but I have no confidence that that would stick in a Court of Law.

The only answers I know are :

a) The tactical one of not having low water using tenants in the property where you don't want a water meter.
          b) More usefully, include the water in the rent as a fixed payment, then there's no financial incentive to make the change.
          c) Specifically include the water supply in your inspection each time - water meters should be detectable, as somebody has to read them.
          d) Keep asking the water company if one is installed.

Given time, non-metered supplies will be a marketing point for some tenants.

I think (b) in my list is the most likely to work.

ML
          Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Water Industry Act 1999
            You are here:1999 c. 9Part ISection 11

11 Rights of tenants in relation to metering.E+W.After section 209 of the Water Industry Act 1991, there is inserted—
            “209A Rights of tenants in relation to metering..(1)Subject to subsection (3) below, no express or implied term of any tenancy is to be regarded—.
            (a)as excluding or restricting the exercise by the tenant of any right to give—.
            (i)a measured charges notice under section 144A above, or.
            (ii)any consent for the purposes of section 144B(2)(a)(ii) above,.
            (b)as preventing the installation or connection, in pursuance of such a notice or consent given by the tenant, of a meter for use in determining the charges which may be fixed in relation to water supplied to the premises comprised in the tenancy, or.
            (c)as requiring any consent to be obtained in relation to such installation or connection..
            (2)In subsection (1) above “tenancy” includes a licence which is treated as a tenancy by virtue of section 79(3) of M1the Housing Act 1985; and references to a “tenant” are to be construed accordingly..
            (3)Subsection (1) above does not apply where the tenancy is a fixed term tenancy for a term of less than six months; and for this purpose “fixed term tenancy” means any tenancy other than a periodic tenancy.”.

I live and learn every day.
            So the only way to prevent any tenant fitting a water meter without consent would appear to be only offer a max 6 month fixed term AST and allow it to continue as a monthly periodic T. I believe the water Co still requires owners permission on the application form for a water meter to actually fit one. If LL refused I assume T would have to take him to Court citing the above.
            Ts cause LLs enough problems changing gas & electric suppliers at the drop of a hat and having prepayment key meters fitted but they can be changed/removed by the next T if reqd. Prob with most water meters, once fitted they cannot be removed so the T reverts to old rateable value system.
            IMO any LL paying the water rate (unmetered) does not increase the rent but adds a pro rata water surcharge ie 1/12 of annual water rate payable monthly on rent day.
            Slight loss to LL as he pays 1/2 year up front and reclaims over 6 months
            Don't include this surcharge in HMRC rental income

I assume LLs cannot charge T more than cost of supply as per other utilities.

b) More usefully, include the water in the rent as a fixed payment, then there's no financial incentive to make the change.
            I think (b) in my list is the most likely to work.

I dont think so if T can save money with a meter and you cannot flat charge without profit/loss unless you know the Ts estimated annual usage.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
              I believe the water Co still requires owners permission on the application form for a water meter to actually fit one. If LL refused I assume T would have to take him to Court citing the above.
              The first I knew was when I saw it after the T had left. The account is in the name of T. Who says they admitted that they didn't own the property. I'd think that meter loving water companies would take care not to ask.

See previous thread:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ut-L-s-consent

And from Severn-Trent.

"i am the tenant of a property, do i need my landlord's permission for a meter?
              Yes you still have the right to apply for a meter, but you should let your landlord know that you are applying. If you have a short term lease of less than 6 months, you must get written permission from your landlord."

http://www.stwater.co.uk/server.php?...ebDoc.3054#q11

Rgds

ML
              Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

ML some Ts may well be 'economical with the truth' esp if the right question is not asked and indeed some water Co's may have their own agenda
                Handson -
                I have a family of 4 moved in who have seen the 1st month bill of £50 and have complained to me. They are saying would prefer to have a flat charge.

If by 'flat charge' they mean a monthly rate based on annual rateable value bill, it may be worth pointing out that £50 / month = £600 pa. Even lowest rateable value bills in most areas would be around £500 pa. With a water meter they can influence what they are charged, with an unmetered bill they cannot.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Flat rental bathroom query
                  by Landyman
                  Are you saying that the toilet and basin are out in the open, adjacent to the kitchen? Or are they in a separate room?

Does the room have a window? Or a fan ventilator?

It's had to visualise exactly what you mean. Could you sketch a simple floorplan and upload that here p...
                  16-01-2022, 23:47 PM
                • Flat rental bathroom query
                  by NewGuyOne
                  Hello,

A rented flat with a toilet (of course) and basin next to the kitchen, and a bedroom with a quite small en suite - shower/basin/rail for towel ... Is this acceptable in a flat - with no additional separate bathroom?

Flat consists of 1 bedroom en suite, hallway, lounge,...
                  16-01-2022, 20:13 PM
                • Reply to Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
                  by axil23
                  Thank you Lawcruncher.

Just so I am not reading the lease wrong. Executed as a deed means that it has to say that and be witnessed by a 3rd party right?...
                  16-01-2022, 23:23 PM
                • Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
                  by axil23
                  I have rented my house to a {name removed} who use it to house Asylum seekers from a govt contract. In June the flat roof developed a leak and they asked me to fix it which I did the next day. 6 months later I get a bill for £1900 for scaffolding, asbestos survey, party wall agreement & for some...
                  13-01-2022, 12:05 PM
                • surrender of lease charges
                  by jshire
                  Hi,
                  I'm trying to assist a family member who is in the process of surrendering a lease on a shared flat (all tenants moving out). The landlord agreed as the reasons were reasonable. He's sent an email stating that there will be costs that the tenants have to meet, charged by the letting agent...
                  16-01-2022, 20:49 PM
                • Reply to Gas certificate fail
                  by MdeB
                  But if you had a valid certificate when the tenancy started but failed to give it to the tenant, then I believe that providing them with a current certificate before serving S21 will be OK....
                  16-01-2022, 20:30 PM
                • Gas certificate fail
                  by ReginaPhalangi
                  We've been renting out our property since 2017 and now have given notice to our tenants to leave. However we have just realised that we have failed to get a gas certificate during their tenancy. Is it possible to get the gas certificate now? Would we need to give notice again after we issue the gas...
                  15-01-2022, 20:05 PM
                • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
                  by MdeB
                  There are a number (of the order of 20) of grounds under which possession can be sought. See the Housing Act 1988.

The claim is for the period for which they were paying rent whilst there was no required licence in place, up to a maximum of 12 months. Getting a licence ends...
                  16-01-2022, 19:32 PM
                • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
                  by MdeB
                  That depends on when the tenancy started.

Or, possibly, the one in place when it is given to the tenant. The regulations are ambiguous...
                  16-01-2022, 19:18 PM
                • Reply to Wales: New Legislation – your roles and responsibilities
                  by steaming
                  4. Antisocial behaviour…..a fair and consistent approach to everyone. No. 4 is then not mentioned in the extended information (click link). Surely this needs explaining in detail or, maybe, they haven’t actually thought further that the nine words used. No surprise.
                  16-01-2022, 19:17 PM
                Working...
                X