new landlord requiring help and advise please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new landlord requiring help and advise please

My tenants live in a 2 bed property and share the cost of the rent. Both are on housing benefit but one tenant has had benefit stopped so i am only receiving half the rent. The council pay the rent 4 weeks in arrears and thereforee half of the rent has not been paid for 10 weeks. What can I do as the tenant says they are still waiting to hear about their claim and it could be weeks for an outcome. They have an AST.

If T1 and T2 hold (jointly) on the same Letting Agreement, both are liable for 100% of the rent- i.e.e each is liable AND both together are. However, you might never see your £££, given that one T has lost HB and the other one will be receiving HB equal to (or referable to) only 50% of the rent.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

If your tenants have separate agreements - look at evicting the tenant who is not paying under section 8 (grounds 8, 10 & 11) of the 1988 Housing Act, which will result in eviction in around 2½ months.

If your tenants have a joint agreement you can either:
      • Serve a section 21 notice which will result in eviction in around 3½ months time, or 6 weeks after the end of the tenancy agreement (whichever is later); or
      • (Optional: Immediately serve a section 8 (grounds 10 & 11) as a warning, then,) once unpaid rent = 2 months worth, serve a section 8 (grounds 8, 10 & 11) notice, which again will result in eviction in around 2½ months after service of the 2nd s8.
      This may help: http://tenancyanswers.ucoz.com/index..._contract/0-36

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Section 21 superseded new Section 21 - Landlord Vs Tenant 1 Vs Tenant 2
        by propster717
        Hi all,

I would be grateful for any advice:

I'm a landlord as follows:

AST - commenced 12/04/2021
        6 month fixed term, now contractual periodic (has not been renewed).
        Tenant 1
        Tenant 2
        (No children)
        Guarantor (relation of Tenant 1)...
        20-01-2022, 15:12 PM
      • Reply to Ending of a tenancy
        by Jon66
        I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but I do not wait for tenants to move out before marketing the property, and I sign the new tenancy agreement providing the current tenant has not attempted to rescind the notice/everything seems to point to them leaving, when they said they would. A 6 week...
        20-01-2022, 15:07 PM
      • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
        by jpucng62
        The last 20 years may have been the 'golden years' for BTL. There is more regulation & higher taxation on BTLs; mortgage costs are going up; tenants are getting more rights & EPC C is coming.

The stock market is the place to go instead - £20k per year in an ISA means all tax is...
        20-01-2022, 15:07 PM
      • Reply to N244 Application Notice Q10 Evidence
        by rapid111111
        Thanks for the reply. This is a different case.
        The defendants are asking to set aside. Any paperwork sent to me has come from the courts only and not them.

I've provided the defendants and the court with paperwork in preparation for the hearing to set aside....
        20-01-2022, 15:03 PM
        by davetg
        I still can't think of a better thing to invest in even given all the new regulations. The lessons i have learnt are:-
        1) Never let to people on benefits.
        2) Don't over leverage your borrowing.
        3) Have access to spare funds for unexpected things like a new boiler being required or...
        20-01-2022, 15:00 PM
      • Reply to Possession hearing
        by davetg
        The two I have done were quite informal - the tenants didn't show up so I had to wait quite a while as they give every opportunity for them to arrive late.

I was shown into a room with the judge sitting at a big table and offered a seat on the other side of the table. The judge looked at...
        20-01-2022, 14:49 PM
      • Possession hearing
        by Gizmo1959
        I am a LL and am due to attend a Possession Hearing on one of my properties in March
        Would appreciate any information on what I need to take with me and what to expect when I get there
        Thanks
        20-01-2022, 14:22 PM
        by doobrey
        +1 on the above (post #17).

To item 1, I would add: 'Risk'.
        20-01-2022, 14:43 PM
      • Greetings, I Come in Peace
        by AVJ113
        Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
        20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
      • Reply to Possession hearing
        by Gizmo1959
        Served a Section 8 due to rent arrears.
        Bit of an unusual situation (I think) Tenant was moved by Social Services due to domestic violence. Rent was being paid by Universal Credit for a while then ended. Managed to track tenant down and provided letters for her to sign to end the tenancy which...
        20-01-2022, 14:32 PM
      Working...
      X