Waste connector to washing machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waste connector to washing machine

Can anyone tell me if a landlord is responsible for providing a waste connector for a washing machine in an unfurnished property. The tenant is using there own washing machine.

Originally posted by dollyd View Post
    Can anyone tell me if a landlord is responsible for providing a waste connector for a washing machine in an unfurnished property. The tenant is using there own washing machine.
    If the tenancy agreement says the landlord is, then "Yes".
    If it doesn't, then "No".

It might be best for the landlord to do so, and get it fiteed to avoid the tenant bodging it, and flooding the place though.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I kind-of agree with thesaint -

NO, it is not your responsibility

Most tenancy agreements place an obligation on the tenant to obtain the landlords permission before performing any alterations (however minor).

My response to such a request (As a LL) would be to insist it was done by a qualified plumber - if you don't want to discover your kitchen cupboards to be rotten in 2 or 3 years time

Comment

Just abouty every automatic washing machine I have seen has the end of its hose formed into the shape of a large hook to facilitate it fitting over the kitchen sink. Although drainpipe fittings are available to facilitate a permanent drain connection, the installation of this machine is not permanent. Apart from this comment, I agree with everyone else.

P.P.
        Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

It would appear that the LA has already had the work done and charged me without my say so. when I challenged them they quoted 'the landlord is responsible for any connections if a space is provided for a washing machine'.

Any advice?

Comment

Ask them where they got that information from - I would be inclined to think it is cobblers. Section 11(1)(b) of the 1985 Landlord & Tenant Act does state:
            to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences, but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity), and
            It does NOT say you have to provide anything - just maintain whatever is already there.

---------------

Do they have any authority from you to perform works under £X?

If not, I would draw to their attention that even if it is your responsibility, it is up to you whether you want to comply or face the consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by dollyd View Post
              It would appear that the LA has already had the work done and charged me without my say so. when I challenged them they quoted 'the landlord is responsible for any connections if a space is provided for a washing machine'
              Cobblers indeed but perhaps common sense?

Comment

As a LL I would want be around for half an hour or so on the day Ts moved in to show them how things worked and to check connections on things like washing machines, dishwashers, etc.

I would not charge a T for a plumber to plumb in a w/m or dishwasher - it is the work of a moment and not difficult. I would do it myself if T is unsure of how.

Goodwill. Call it an investment.
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                  Ask them where they got that information from - I would be inclined to think it is cobblers.
                  Yup, I agree, unless it's quoted from the tenancy contract, it's cobblers.

Comment

I don't know how you are going to get the tenant to pay for this. The Letting Agent works for the Landlord. If the agent has annoyed you by doing this, I would just find a different agent next time.
                    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X