Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohnnyNoHair
    replied
    Great. One final question. Can I claim interest on a debt of less than £5000( I have some recollection that I cannot) and do I need to ask for it when I apply for the charging order?

thanks

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnnyNoHair View Post
    Ok , so he will not have to pay me before he can dispose of the property but he has to tell me that he has done it so I can then chase him again and presumably threaten him with bankruptcy. Not ideal but cheaper than pursuing bankruptcy at this stage.
    Well, not quite. P's solicitors [PS] will want to ensure clear title; so they're likely to require an Undertaking from V's solicitors [VS] (on completion) to procure removal of the entry. VS contact you; you tell them how much is due; they pay you, out of funds received from PS; and you sign 'removal' form.

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    I believe you are - 8% I think.

This is based on a conversation recently with a landlord owed over 10k for damages (reduced to half as the inventory was written by him, not an independent body if you can believe it). He has a charging order and I believe he has tried to force the sale.

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyNoHair
    replied
    Ok , so he will not have to pay me before he can dispose of the property but he has to tell me that he has done it so I can then chase him again and presumably threaten him with bankruptcy. Not ideal but cheaper than pursuing bankruptcy at this stage.
    Am I entitled to interest? It could be many years until the property is sold?

thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    It's accurate. The point of such Restriction is to tell the creditor that sale proceeds may be available.

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyNoHair
    replied
    Dear Jeffrey

I really appreciate your advice. Acknowledging the risk that I am teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs, I would be grateful for your comments on the advice found on:

http://www.opportunities.co.uk/artic...tive-security/

which includes the following regarding charges on jointly owned property:
    However, if the property was jointly owned by the debtor with other non debtors, for example husband and wife owning the property and only one of them being the actual debtor, the creditor was not entitled to enter an “agreed notice”.

Instead the creditor could only file a “restriction” in the following terms:

“No disposition of the registered estate is to be registered without a certificate signed by the applicant for registration or his conveyance that written notice of the disposition was given to [creditor] being the person with a benefit of an interim/final Charging Order on the beneficial interest of [name of debtor]”.

This restriction was and remains, practically useless.
    Thanks once more.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnnyNoHair View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. My understanding is that since 2003 it is not possible to get a charging order as his wife is not a party to the guarantee and that restrictions now have little effect.
    You can obtain a Charging Order against HIS beneficial interest, even though not against hers. Form K can then be registered against their jointly-owned property which cannot be sold unless your debt is paid in exchange for you releasing the Restriction.

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyNoHair
    replied
    Thanks for the quick reply. My understanding is that since 2003 it is not possible to get a charging order as his wife is not a party to the guarantee and that restrictions now have little effect. Unfortunately I cannot find the document that I read about this.
    Is it possible to charge interest on a sum of less than £5000 as I suspect they won't move in a hurry?

thanks again

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Obtain a Charging Order, then register a Restriction [form K] against the jointly-owned house.

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyNoHair
    started a topic Guarantor won't pay. Bankruptcy?

Guarantor won't pay. Bankruptcy?

Hi

I am owed around £1500 by a guarantor of one of my ex-tenants. I have a CCJ against him and he then applied for a variation order. He was granted the right to pay me £60 per month.
    I have not received the first payment. I now know that he has a slippery history and suspect that he would not grant a bailiff entry to his house, which he co-owns with his wife. I am considering stumping up to apply to have him declared bankrupt but am concerned that he will then pay up £60 thus annulling my application and I will have to repeat the process every month. As it will probably cost me £100 a time to get a process server to serve notice then this would not be sensible.

Has anyone on the forum gone through the bankruptcy process please and how did it work out?

thanks

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice Needed
    by Hudson01
    I am very sorry to hear about the issue, i can add little more to what has already been said above, I am one of those lanldords spoken about in terms of about to sell up........ all that has been pointed out as to why we are all leaving is totally true, it has simply become too much hassle and with...
    16-05-2022, 20:53 PM
  • Advice Needed
    by Confused2022
    Hello!

I an trying to get as much information and advice for someone whom is very vulnerable and has many health problems.

The issue is they have lived at a property which they’ve rented now for 2 years just over, never missed a rental payment and never had any issues,...
    15-05-2022, 15:45 PM
  • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
    by Hudson01
    I agree with one of the other posts, Company A should have sorted the whole job, it sounds like a 10 mins job with maybe a collar for the pipework being tightened up and then some basthroom sealant ...........you are right.......... just under a ' monkey'' (Arthur Daley speak) for what is a simple pipe...
    16-05-2022, 18:46 PM
  • Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
    by Laurasplog
    We have a London flat managed by an agent (full management service).

My husband and I were abroad, and got a call from the council saying the property was leaking sewage into the flat below. We contacted our agent immediately who sent someone around the same day (Company A).

16-05-2022, 12:58 PM
    by theartfullodger
    What does your agreement (or terms & conditions sent) with this say about such queries, please? I'd start there first & then probably their complaints process (if they have one)

Is this the lettings agent on the block (of flats) management agent please?

I humbly note...
    16-05-2022, 16:15 PM
    by Laurasplog
    The pipework was found to be sound. I think Company A were there as an emergency "see if it's sewage and shut off the water if necessary". They said it was a pipework problem and a sealant problem. Company B carried out a full audit on the pipes and found it was only a sealant problem....
    16-05-2022, 14:59 PM
    by Laurasplog
    The letting agent engaged all of them. We gave them an instruction to fix whatever the problem was after the notification from the council there was a problem - we pay for a full management service.

I doubt the agency will give us money back because they've paid it out directly to the contractor,...
    16-05-2022, 14:58 PM
  • Reply to Buying a tenanted residential property
    by theartfullodger
    In November 1979 BoE base rate hit 17% under Thatcher's government. My building society was kind by only raising their rates to 15%.....

IMHO rates will continue to rise. Sorry.

What you are proposing would breach your mortgage terms and possibly result in place being repo'd....
    16-05-2022, 14:30 PM
Working...
X