evict a non rent paying, blackmailing tenant - Courts no help at all!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Maybe there could be a fresh start? Unfortunately what I know about LL v T law could be written on the edge of a tiny stamp. The act of taking a new T on a 5 year TA may not be everyones choice, but you have done it, so now you have to deal with it.

    To go back a little bit, can you please answer the following questions put by westminster in post 5?

    You do not say why the s.8 application failed; has the T reduced the rent owing and unpaid to less than two months, did he defend on the basis of disrepair, etc? Do you know why your application failed?
    Please give some more details:

    1. Date fixed term commenced, length of term?
    2. Is rent payable monthly or weekly?
    3. Was a deposit paid, if so was it protected and the prescribed info given to T?
    4. Date s.8 was served and what grounds it cited?
    5. Date s.21 was served and what date it expired (exact wording, e.g. "on 2nd February" "after 2nd February")?
    6. Did you obtain proof of service of notices?
    7. What date you started the possession claim and what form(s) you used?


    Please answer the questions in order, thanks.

    pm
    Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by landlady_uk View Post
      Courts are currently asking me to pay £600+ for a small hearing to take place. What a complete and utter farce!
      Originally posted by landlady_uk View Post
      My words 'What a complete and utter farce!' actually refers to the judicial system and the apparent lack of justice for landlords.
      farce, n. A ludicrous, empty show; a mockery.

      Calling the judicial system a 'farce' indicates that you regard it with a degree of contempt, and although I must take your word for it that you don't, in fact, regard it as 'stupid', you can surely understand how I arrived at such an assumption.

      The law attempts to be evenly weighted and to favour neither one party nor the other. Inevitably, there will be winners and losers, and often there will be one party who thinks the law is unfair (I've lost count of the times both landlords and tenants complain on here that it's unfairly weighted against them).

      Like it or not, the tenant is entitled to have his defence to your possession claim heard and considered before he is evicted from his home. If his disrepair claim is valid, (and it's for the court to decide this, not you), then the T might be awarded damages which, when set against the unpaid rent, remove the criterion for fulfilling ground 8.

      And like it or not, it costs money to run the court service, so they have to charge court fees.

      If you don't understand or agree with the law and the legal system, and consider it a 'farce', then perhaps you shouldn't be a landlord.

      Originally posted by landlady_uk View Post
      Thanks for the advice- engaging the services of somebody who knows more about this. I have to admit that the thought did occur to me at the beginning of this sorry saga and gosh if I had the funds to do so I would have done.
      You said in post #16 that you were considering paying the tenant thousands to go. I pointed out that it would be cheaper to get legal advice. I even told you how you could potentially save money by going direct to a barrister, and provided a link for how to find one.

      I'm sorry you think my advice is too obvious to be of any value to you, and no doubt you were fully aware of public access to barristers and how to find one, but it remains good advice, given your limited understanding of eviction procedure. And the longer it takes you to evict the tenant, the more unpaid rent will mount up, a debt which you'll have little hope of recovering from a tenant on benefits.

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by property mongrel View Post
        Maybe there could be a fresh start? Unfortunately what I know about LL v T law could be written on the edge of a tiny stamp. The act of taking a new T on a 5 year TA may not be everyones choice, but you have done it, so now you have to deal with it.

        To go back a little bit, can you please answer the following questions put by westminster in post 5?

        Please answer the questions in order, thanks.

        pm
        PM - wise words indeed.

        landlady_uk has been asked to answer these Qs multiple times and last viewed this site some 50 minutes after your post, so I can only assume she doesn't want to answer these questions for some reason.

        If you are reading this landlady_uk, please follow PMs advice - you want some sensible advice? Then give us the facts so that we can ensure the advice is appropriate.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
          PM - wise words indeed.

          landlady_uk has been asked to answer these Qs multiple times and last viewed this site some 50 minutes after your post, so I can only assume she doesn't want to answer these questions for some reason.

          If you are reading this landlady_uk, please follow PMs advice - you want some sensible advice? Then give us the facts so that we can ensure the advice is appropriate.
          Unfortunatly I did not have the case documents to hand as I work away from home during the week. Will be returning home this evening and as PM suggested I shall endevour to provide a response to the question tonight.

          many thanks

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by landlady_uk View Post
            Unfortunatly I did not have the case documents to hand as I work away from home during the week. Will be returning home this evening and as PM suggested I shall endevour to provide a response to the question tonight.

            many thanks



            The plot thickens!

            I have received a phone call from the council. They relieved an email from somebody with my full name, requesting that the little rent that I do receive from DSS (which makes up a fraction of the monthly agreed rent) be directed back to the tenant. The tenant created this email address using my details and is impersonating me. Asking for the rent to be paid to him..


            ‘dear revenues & benefits
            i write with regards the houseing benefits payments that are currently being paid direct to my self
            for my tenants xx , xx, xx ,,,,
            i now wish to cancel the payments direct to my self ......
            xx has managed to clear all the rent arrears with my self and has arranged with my self
            to pay me the rent weekly out of his working tac credit ....
            as of today there are no rent arrears ..
            i would ask to contact the tenants regards making payments direcy to them ... ‘

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by landlady_uk View Post
              The plot thickens!

              I have received a phone call from the council. They relieved an email from somebody with my full name, requesting that the little rent that I do receive from DSS (which makes up a fraction of the monthly agreed rent) be directed back to the tenant. The tenant created this email address using my details and is impersonating me. Asking for the rent to be paid to him..


              ‘dear revenues & benefits
              i write with regards the houseing benefits payments that are currently being paid direct to my self
              for my tenants xx , xx, xx ,,,,
              i now wish to cancel the payments direct to my self ......
              xx has managed to clear all the rent arrears with my self and has arranged with my self
              to pay me the rent weekly out of his working tac credit ....
              as of today there are no rent arrears ..
              i would ask to contact the tenants regards making payments direcy to them ... ‘
              That would seem to be fraud - contact the police.

              Comment


                #37
                Also, from what you have been saying there seems to be a case for using S8 Ground 17 as well.

                Were I you I would attempt to speak directly to a CID officer to explain what is happening. It would not surprise me if he did not identify half a dozen offences in your tenant's behaviour, and the police do like an easy nick where the culprit has incriminated himself. They are more aware than the muppets on the front counter.

                If he did originate that email to the council then I doubt he's got the brains to remove it altogether from his hard drive or history. Go for him, get him nicked.
                I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                  That would seem to be fraud - contact the police.
                  Thanks Snorkerz.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by jta View Post
                    Also, from what you have been saying there seems to be a case for using S8 Ground 17 as well.

                    Were I you I would attempt to speak directly to a CID officer to explain what is happening. It would not surprise me if he did not identify half a dozen offences in your tenant's behaviour, and the police do like an easy nick where the culprit has incriminated himself. They are more aware than the muppets on the front counter.

                    Thanks JTA..

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by jta View Post
                      If he did originate that email to the council then I doubt he's got the brains to remove it altogether from his hard drive or history. Go for him, get him nicked.
                      Will the police take any action? As this is a civil matter - landlord in the process of evicting tenant they may not wish to get involved despite the false impersonation email as evidence.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        The fraud - on HB/LHA - is a criminal matter... and it sounds like an easy collar...
                        http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/35/contents

                        PS Just because he is (if he is..) arrested, put on remand or even convicted does not necessarily mean the tenancy has ended....
                        I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by landlady_uk View Post
                          Will the police take any action? As this is a civil matter - landlord in the process of evicting tenant they may not wish to get involved despite the false impersonation email as evidence.
                          Fraud is not a civil matter, it's a criminal offence.

                          But before you go racing down another blind alley, let's remind ourselves of what the objective is: a possession order.

                          There are mandatory grounds and discretionary grounds under Schedule 2. Even if T were arrested or convicted for fraud, this does not provide a mandatory ground for a possession order. Two months' unpaid rent does. So the focus must be on refuting T's allegations below, and putting him to strict proof.

                          as i have not heard from you ... i have desided to put a counter claim in agaist you

                          for the following
                          1 / loss earnings of 2,000 for recovery jobs that we have had to cencel
                          due to our time being wasted on this court case ...

                          2/ money for the doors / handles plus fitting of 2 doors 433.65

                          3 / money we had to paid to get bathroom light sorted 60.00

                          4/ repayment of 2,500 rent / houseing benefit you have recived on the grounds

                          the property has been let to us in an unlawful and unsafe condtion

                          comfirmed by the inspector on the inspection ...
                          If you go to the hearing waving evidence that T has been arrested for fraud, and accusing him of 'blackmail', but fail to address T's claims, you might well walk away without a possession order.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Thanks artful dodger and westminster..

                            WM you are right my main objective is to evict the tenant and his 2 sons.

                            Would you advise that I contact the police and advise them of the fraudulent activity?

                            Comment


                              #44
                              There are quite few things in your posts that point to criminal rather than civil complaints. If you can find a sympathetic CID ear then you may be surprised at how they view it. The impersonation thing is quite definitely criminal. There is evidence of it and they would have to investigate..........but you may have to insist and persevere. The guy is an obvious crook so do yer dooty
                              I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by landlady_uk View Post
                                Thanks artful dodger and westminster..

                                WM you are right my main objective is to evict the tenant and his 2 sons.

                                Would you advise that I contact the police and advise them of the fraudulent activity?
                                Yes, you should report a suspected criminal offence, but the point both I and artful were making is that a conviction won't, in itself, guarantee you a possession order, and that's what you should be focussing on - demolishing the T's allegations. Put him to strict proof. Gather your own evidence.

                                It would also be highly advisable to protect the deposit the T has paid with the DPS, and provide T with the prescribed information (keeping a copy and proof of posting).
                                http://www.depositprotection.com/

                                If you don't, then T may bring a counterclaim for non-compliance - the potential penalty is 3x the value of the deposit. Again, this is something which could potentially be set against the unpaid rent, and cause the possession claim to fail.

                                Comment

                                Latest Activity

                                Collapse

                                • Reply to How to evict professional tenant?
                                  by DoricPixie
                                  The tenant sounds like a delusional bampot. How is he going to afford a very expensive solicitor?

                                  Do you know if the council in which the rental property is located has landlord licensing? I’m trying to figure out where he’s getting this £30k figure from....
                                  26-06-2022, 23:40 PM
                                • How to evict professional tenant?
                                  by CharlesRiver
                                  I have a professional tenant rented my house a few years ago. The tenant relied on housing benefit to pay the rent. It was a one-year fixed term AST, and the tenant refused to leave from then and declined our access to the property for inspection for many years. He damaged the house extensively and...
                                  23-06-2022, 01:48 AM
                                • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
                                  by DoricPixie
                                  The council can’t magic up a suitable property if there are none available. Whilst being able to present as homeless on top of the health issues will give the daughter more points if there aren’t any suitable properties then your daughter is still going to be between a rock and a hard place. Presenting...
                                  26-06-2022, 23:37 PM
                                • Council staying eviction needed
                                  by lostforwords
                                  My daughter is a tenant in a house and has been for 7years without any problems for 6 of the years. Last year she had to give up working full time due to health reasons. Since then they've got worse, she suffered a blood clot which leaves her breathless and can't have oxygen as she has a gas hob. She...
                                  26-06-2022, 14:45 PM
                                • Reply to N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  Any tips on a good one to use?
                                  26-06-2022, 22:24 PM
                                • N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  Good Afternoon everyone,
                                  Its my first post on the site and probably like most first posts on here I am asking for help !
                                  Without going into too much detail my tenant has decided to stop paying his rent , after I gave him notice to leave, and ignore Section 8 and Section 21 notices sent by...
                                  24-06-2022, 13:18 PM
                                • Reply to N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  I think I'm going to down the housing solicitor / eviction company route.
                                  Its going to cost me but this is really bringing me down now in all honesty . I've got a daughter and Mom with very serious health issues and I need to concentrate on them rather than a jerk who's taking me for a ride !...
                                  26-06-2022, 22:23 PM
                                • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
                                  by Hudson01
                                  Could not agree more, but given the reluctance of the social sector to '' do the right thing'', we will always be in a battle to get them to house vulnerable people.

                                  What a sad state of affairs....
                                  26-06-2022, 20:13 PM
                                • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
                                  by gnvqsos
                                  The problem here is that the woman was not vulnerable and thus chose the private option. She is now in the wrong sector ,and the landlord is not trained to address such problems....
                                  26-06-2022, 20:10 PM
                                • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
                                  by Hudson01
                                  Sad to say it but i would evict them now...... it is coming our way and when it hits the reasons you have will not qualify, as i suspect many others will and only time will show them up in this forum and the wider press.

                                  Vulnerable individuals should really not be in the PRS, but due to...
                                  26-06-2022, 20:02 PM
                                Working...
                                X