Post Dated Cheques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legally, a post-dated cheque is not a cheque at all- as it's not yet due for payment.
    So no Bank ought to clear it earlier than its due date; negligence?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

And of course since a post-dated cheque is not a cheque it does not have the protections statute affords to cheques.

Comment

As an ex-employee of a major high-street bank, I did come across the post-dated cheque problem quite often.
        I was always told in training that all cheques (no matter which bank they come from) are processed in a central cheque clearing house.
        This particular bank's policy was that post-dating a cheque was against their T's & C's and therefore any that went through before their time were still subject to the normal charges if funds were not available, and it was simply the customer's fault.
        I also remember seeing an episode of the 'one show' where two cheques were written by the presenters, each unsigned and deposited by the other. Both these cheques cleared!
        This just shows how little cheques are looked at these days.

Comment

A requirement not to post date a cheque is a requirement not to do something that cannot in any event be done since an instrument that is post-dated is not a cheque. What is described as a post-dated cheque is just an ordinary bill of exchange and no bank should pay a bill before its due date.

Comment

Having rent payment arrangements in the form of SO's or as a series of post-dated cheques is helpful in maintaining good relations between LL and T.
            Such arrangements greatly increase the likelihood that rent is paid on time and avoid the destructive hassle involved in chasing up rent arrears.
            It is much more difficult for a T to cancel a post-dated cheque than it is to simply "forget" to pay on time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tess View Post
              It was common when I was a student and still seems to be- I work in a completely different place now and still see it.
              Student landlords I think see it as a gesture of goodwill as well as a certain amount of security - after all students do not have a job and guarantees are unenforcable unless in a very specific format. It's common for the dates to co-incide with the loan so that the landlord effectively gets 'first dibs' before it is spent elsewhere, and monthly S/Os are seen as more risky because of youth/lack of budgeting skills/can be cancelled with out penalty

Using installment dates often means students are living in the property for a month or more until the first installment goes through (mid october) which is, i guess, why students are seen as 'high risk high reward'.
              We used to do this however we stopped as it became a bit of a nightmare. Now we just use standing orders or bacs.

We still get the blame though when a tenant (or guarantor) has a big standing order go through that bounces. "YOU TOOK MONEY OUT OF MY ACCOUNT AND IVE BEEN CHARGED FOR IT!!!!!!!!"... "Erm.... how exactly can we TAKE money?"
              Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                by Flashback1966
                or just work hard and hopefully take an early retirement.

You can't predict the future. Things always go in cycle. They want to get rid of Section 21, so you may be unable to get your property back. You may end up working and subsidising your rentals....
                29-01-2022, 03:42 AM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by DoricPixie
                It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
                28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
              • Renting rooms
                by Luke
                I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
                I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
                I do not intend to live at the property
                Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
                As its...
                28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by DoricPixie
                I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
                28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by theartfullodger
                Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
                28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by Hudson01
                If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
                28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
              • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by jpkeates
                That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
                The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
                28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
              • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by Piffy
                I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by DoricPixie
                You can't have your cake and eat it Luke. If you want to receive rental income from a property that is not also your main home you have to accept that the occupants will be tenants. This means that you will have to comply with all your legal obligations as a landlord unless you want it to come back...
                28-01-2022, 16:09 PM
              Working...
              X