Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sublet deposits

Hi there,

I'm about to sublet a room, and am concerned about the deposit being asked of me.

The tenant whose name is on the tenancy agreement with the landlord has asked me for one month's deposit (£600). She has said she will give me a receipt for this as well as a separate tenancy agreement written by her.

I gather however there's no separate holding facilities for tentant/sub tenant deposits, so is there anything else I can fall back on here apart from a few bits of (I'm worried meaningless) paper and trust?

She's asked for half of the deposit 2 weeks in advance to hold the room, reasonable I thought, and specified she'd rather this in cash, she gave a reason for this but not overly trust inspiring I feel.

Would requesting certain personal details of her help my situation, details of the landlord, her current tenancy agreement etc.?

Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Can't find anything online from the subletters point of view, and won't be able to get the CAB in time.

Thank you!

I can't help you with the deposit query, but in your position I would ask to see a copy of the Tenancy Agreement to prove she actually has permission to sublet. It is probably all above board, but some TA's strictly forbid subletting part of the property.

Comment

Will you actually become a Tenant, with Tenants rights, or a Lodger of the original Tenant, with Lodgers rights, which do not amount to much?

What are you renting exactly, any shared facilites, communal areas or exclusive areas?

pm
      Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

Thank you LeslieAnne and Property Mongrel.

I'm called a tenant in the agreement (that will be shared between me the tenant who has the actual agreement with the landlord), this mentions access to communal areas in addition to the bedroom.

Comment

If you are just renting a room in the 'landlords flat' (which he happens to rent off someone else) - you will not be a tenant, you will be an "excluded occupier" (similar to lodger) and as PM says, your rights will be minimal.

There is no requirement for such deposits to be protected in this situation, although the DPS will protect it if both parties so desire.

Your 'landlord' seems to not have much of a clue. Rather than a poorly drafted 'tenancy agreement' that she is going to write for a non-existant tenancy, why don't you encourage her to sped a fiver at WHSmiths for a proper 'lodgers agreement'. http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...=9781906971144

Comment

Originally posted by Packing View Post
            I'm about to sublet a room, and am concerned about the deposit being asked of me.
            Further to Snorkerz' comments, you would indeed be an excluded occupier with very limited rights of tenure if you're living in the same property as your immediate landlord; however, it's also possible that the contract creates a tenancy if it gives you exclusive possession of the room. See http://www.lodgerlandlord.co.uk/2010...ger-a-tenancy/ (If it doesn't give you exclusive possession, it wouldn't be 'subletting').

It's fine to pay cash *if* you get a signed receipt (same goes for rent), and her reasons for asking are neither here nor there. If the landlady doesn't repay it when you move out, you can bring a county court claim against her (easy to DIY with Money Claim Online).

Would requesting certain personal details of her help my situation, details of the landlord, her current tenancy agreement etc.?
            I would certainly ask to see her tenancy agreement. You need to know how long the fixed term is, because after it expires the head LL could evict your landlady (and you along with her, though she'd get plenty of notice).

Comment

P.S. I suggest you direct the landlady to the lodger landlord site I linked to above.

Comment

As pointed out above, if the agreement isn't an AST there is no legal requirement for the landlord to protect your deposit, but the DPS will be happy to protect it anyway.

If you are feeling coy about handing over the deposit in cash, you could suggest that it is lodged with the DPS as an alternative. That way, your landlord would be secure saving the room for you and you would know that your money was safe.

Just a thought

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Section 21 superseded new Section 21 - Landlord Vs Tenant 1 Vs Tenant 2
                  by propster717
                  Hi all,

I would be grateful for any advice:

I'm a landlord as follows:

AST - commenced 12/04/2021
                  6 month fixed term, now contractual periodic (has not been renewed).
                  Tenant 1
                  Tenant 2
                  (No children)
                  Guarantor (relation of Tenant 1)...
                  20-01-2022, 15:12 PM
                • Reply to Ending of a tenancy
                  by Jon66
                  I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but I do not wait for tenants to move out before marketing the property, and I sign the new tenancy agreement providing the current tenant has not attempted to rescind the notice/everything seems to point to them leaving, when they said they would. A 6 week...
                  20-01-2022, 15:07 PM
                • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                  by jpucng62
                  The last 20 years may have been the 'golden years' for BTL. There is more regulation & higher taxation on BTLs; mortgage costs are going up; tenants are getting more rights & EPC C is coming.

The stock market is the place to go instead - £20k per year in an ISA means all tax is...
                  20-01-2022, 15:07 PM
                • Reply to N244 Application Notice Q10 Evidence
                  by rapid111111
                  Thanks for the reply. This is a different case.
                  The defendants are asking to set aside. Any paperwork sent to me has come from the courts only and not them.

I've provided the defendants and the court with paperwork in preparation for the hearing to set aside....
                  20-01-2022, 15:03 PM
                  by davetg
                  I still can't think of a better thing to invest in even given all the new regulations. The lessons i have learnt are:-
                  1) Never let to people on benefits.
                  2) Don't over leverage your borrowing.
                  3) Have access to spare funds for unexpected things like a new boiler being required or...
                  20-01-2022, 15:00 PM
                • Reply to Possession hearing
                  by davetg
                  The two I have done were quite informal - the tenants didn't show up so I had to wait quite a while as they give every opportunity for them to arrive late.

I was shown into a room with the judge sitting at a big table and offered a seat on the other side of the table. The judge looked at...
                  20-01-2022, 14:49 PM
                • Possession hearing
                  by Gizmo1959
                  I am a LL and am due to attend a Possession Hearing on one of my properties in March
                  Would appreciate any information on what I need to take with me and what to expect when I get there
                  Thanks
                  20-01-2022, 14:22 PM
                  by doobrey
                  +1 on the above (post #17).

To item 1, I would add: 'Risk'.
                  20-01-2022, 14:43 PM
                • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                  by AVJ113
                  Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                  20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
                • Reply to Possession hearing
                  by Gizmo1959
                  Served a Section 8 due to rent arrears.
                  Bit of an unusual situation (I think) Tenant was moved by Social Services due to domestic violence. Rent was being paid by Universal Credit for a while then ended. Managed to track tenant down and provided letters for her to sign to end the tenancy which...
                  20-01-2022, 14:32 PM
                Working...
                X