Leasing agency with holding deposit.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Leasing agency with holding deposit.

    I moved out of a property I had been renting for 18 months on 25/08/06. An inspection was then carried out and it was reported that cleaners were required to clean. The report mentioned very petty things such as mark on radiator, mark on door, and so on and so on. I was very suprised at this as myself and my girlfriend had spent alot of time cleaning before we moved out!

    I am still waiting for my deposit to be paid back to me. I have been intouch with the leasing agency on many occasion and they have informed me that they are still waiting for the invoice from the cleaning company.

    A friend of mine has told me that a deposit must be legally returned within 28 days of the keys being returned if not then the ex-tennant is entitiled to the full ammount of the deposit. Can anyone tell me if this is the case or not.

    Cheers, Phil.

    I and others have posted huge amounts of stuff on this and it is such an often posted question that you should really have a look at the archived stuff on this.

    You need to look at your inventory too as the landlord has to prove matters, not you disprove them, and if you haven't signed one he doesn't have a hope! Most inventories are not that good. If you need to take the landlord to court (not the agent as they have no legal connection with you, and are NOT entitled to decide on the apportionment of the deposit's return) then do so. Either the landlord directs the agent as to what he wants to retain or you and the landlord jointly have to agree before any deposit it returned depending on how it is held. If you can't agree then the court must decide and tenants usually win if the inventory is poor.

    Have a look at my article accessed from the home page on "deposits & their status". I wrote it at least three years ago and it probably needs an update but it tells you the meaning of stakeholder and landlord's agent as the two ways in which it can be held.
    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


    Latest Activity


    • Part Admission of Debt MCOL Help!
      Hi, hoping someone can help.

      First claim on mcol, so I’m finding my feet.

      I have just received forms n9a and n9b from the court, regarding the defendants part admission to my claim started in mcol.

      However that was all I have received, I received no other forms...
      24-01-2018, 06:15 AM
    • Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
      Hi There,

      I am planning to move out of a shared rental property in March. Foxtons, the agency managing the property want to charge me a £300 "Change of Occupancy" administration fee as we have not reached the full term of the tenancy. I realise that the fee covers both me leaving...
      23-01-2018, 13:16 PM
    • Reply to Erroneous Change Of Occupancy Fee
      Your information is severely deficient,
      Of course a move out inspection can be chargedeven with no move in report.
      You accepted LA fees by proceeding with Application.
      Deposit ADR cannot be used to contest Agency fees.
      24-01-2018, 02:53 AM
    • Attending Court - Advice Please
      Hi there

      I posted recently about our tenant leaving and giving her ex the keys to our house, we have a court date of 4th January for which Im flying back to the UK to attend (no contact or rent received from the persons she has left in there still). I feel hes staying in there as long...
      12-12-2017, 18:03 PM
    • Reply to Attending Court - Advice Please
      Thank you, Ill take a look!
      24-01-2018, 02:31 AM
    • Broken Boiler
      HI - our boiler broke yesterday - our landlord is currently waiting for a quote for a new boiler - however one of the problems we have is that she lives abroad. It consequently means she's able to speak to people in the uk about any sort of business matter for 3 hours in the afternoon. I'm wondering...
      23-01-2018, 13:55 PM
    • Reply to Broken Boiler
      I live in the US at the moment, 7 hours behind the UK, yes its difficult BUT when my boiler broke I had someone out within 2 days, one thing she should have in place is a boiler cover or she should have tradesmen lined up who she trusts so if something goes wrong she can get in touch with them immediately,...
      24-01-2018, 02:29 AM
    • Section 8 notice served, what next
      Hi section 8 notice was served for rent arrears last wk, it doesn’t look like the tenant is going to pay , my question is what should I do next to prepare me for the court as I never been.

      I ve seen the post before abt the tenant may defend for disrepair, the house in fairly good condition...
      22-01-2018, 21:46 PM
    • Reply to Section 8 notice served, what next
      Hi - I attended court a few weeks ago, we used several grounds in the section 8, the mandatory one being the rent arrears, they didnt put a defence in, show up or pay so the judge just asked for proof I had served the section 8 (proof of postage receipts from the PO) and an up to date rent statement...
      24-01-2018, 02:24 AM
    • Leak into downstairs flat - advice

      I'm new the forum and the UK and wonder if you can advise…
      I’ve recently moved to the UK from Canada and so I’m not sure of rights and liabilities... I moved into my flat a few months ago and caused a leak into the apartment below me by leaving the tap running in the bathroom...
      23-01-2018, 08:50 AM