cooker point problem

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • cooker point problem

    i currently am in the process of moving to another property owned by my landlord as the one i am in is in very bad need of repair. i have an electric cooker and informed him of this and of my need for a cooker point for this, he assured me that there was one as there was already an old cooker that was both gas and electric. he has now had the old cooker removed and there is no cooker supply at all and he has told me that he will not pay for the electric cooker point as there is a gas cooker point but this is untrue as the gas pipe that was connected to the old cooker has been capped and there is no gas outlet. i am very annoyed at the fact that i informed him i needed an electric cooker point and now he refuses to supply one. is there anything i can do?

  • #2
    I THINK in this situation that you are entitled to the same amenities as you had in the previous property(someone correct me if I am wrong!). If this is the case, then you could write to him saying that if one is not installed within 7 days you will get one installed and deduct from the rent. And then do this. But please await clarification from others!
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.


    • #3
      Unfortunately most cookers that require both gas and electric supplies only require a small amount of electricity to run timers and lights thus the electric supply available would have been insufficient to run your electric cooker. Installing such a supply is now an expensive business because part P certification is required. Your landlord has also had the gas cooker removed because it will have to be checked annually under the Corgi regulations - another expensive exercise! If there is a gas meter in the house and there is a capped gas pipe near the cooker position, then there is gas available to run a cooker so you have three alternatives:
      1. Contact your local friendly environmental health department to see if they can insist your landlord provides you wilh cooking facilities.
      2. Obtain and have fitted your own gas cooker - legislation does not oblige a landlord to get a tenant's own gas appliances Corgi certificated.
      3. Look for a more obliging landlord in another property.

      If you take option i) your current landlord may well consider evicting you anyway.


      I was writing this as Mr. Shed was posting so I would add in regard to his comments that he may well be correct but you still run the risk of being evicted by being given 2 months notice.

      Last edited by P.Pilcher; 19-09-2006, 22:34 PM. Reason: Additional information
      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.


      Latest Activity


      • Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
        Hi All,

        I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

        I already...
        20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
      • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
        200 miles. Work needing doing? Tenant wanting 10 years? Why on earth doesn't he aspire to buy a place?

        Flip it in a local auction. Use the money to buy something local to you and let to a stranger for 6 months....
        24-07-2017, 22:40 PM
      • Help re flatsharing legal position!
        Hello, I moved into a friend's flat when she moved out of London last year. It was agreed that I would pay market rate, would not need to pay a deposit, be able to bring various items into the flat, work from home, have a certain amount of storage etc.etc. I was also to share with my friend's then...
        24-07-2017, 13:18 PM
      • Reply to Help re flatsharing legal position!
        I think your friend Emma sounds like a bit of a plonker to be honest and I'd let her get on and deal with the problematic tenant herself.

        Any landlord that allows a tenant to withhold rent and then support them in such a way sadly deserves what's coming.

        Unfortunately for...
        24-07-2017, 22:36 PM
      • Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?

        There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
        23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
      • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
        So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

        Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

        Are you able to say which university city this is?...
        24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
      • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
        hi there

        had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

        24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
      • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
        Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
        24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
      • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
        "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

        Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
        24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
      • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
        I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
        Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
        24-07-2017, 21:20 PM