Who signs which contract?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who signs which contract?

I had always assumed that there would be 2 copies of a tenancy agreement, and that the landlord and all tenants would all sign both of them.

However, in my "Buy To Let Handbook", it says that the tenants should only sign one copy (to be retained by the landlord), and the landlord should only sign one copy (to be retained by the tenants).

Why is this?

But confusingly, it also says that the both copies of the Inventory should be signed by the tenants, but the landlord should only sign one of them, and that the landlord should keep the copy which does not have his signature.

Can anyone explain why this is the case?
    Thanks in advance,
    John

Well, it's all quite logical really, you see each party can always put their own signature to any document at any time they wish if it is needed. What is not available so easily is the other party's signature! Thus, provided the tenant has a copy of the lease and inventory signed by the landlord, then the tenant can sign it any time he likes if he needs to produce the document. In the same way, the landlord needs the tenant's signature on the lease and inventory.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Yes, I think the confusion is caused by the use of the phrase "should sign" rather than "need sign"!

Personally I make sure that upon moving in, both LL and tenant both end up with original copies of inventory and AST agreement, both signed by both parties. No confusion there!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
        Berlingogirl
        This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
        27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
      • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
        Berlingogirl
        I'm trying to , jta, but I think he knows I know....
        27-07-2017, 20:16 PM
      • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
        BouwensPB
        I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
        26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
      • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
        Wright76
        You are also aware you are now liable to pay her a penalty of up three times the deposit value?.

My experience of a drug addict is that they will leave with a financial offering.

Strike a deal taking into account your likely penalty and eviction costs and offer her an amount...
        27-07-2017, 19:10 PM
      • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
        theartfullodger
        Check insurance for what you must do knowing what you do....
        27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
      • Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
        purpleangel
        Our potential new landlady has 'approved us in principle' but wants to meet us at the house as the final part in the referencing process. Beside the obvious such as look smart, tidy and professional and warn the kids to behave, any particular tips for making sure this last hurdle goes smoothly?
        26-07-2017, 10:11 AM
      • Reply to Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
        Wright76
        Some of the above comments are crazy!. If they have aleady done their referencing and credit checks then they likely just want to meet you.

As someone said above, they are trusting you with their very valuable asset.

As a landlord I couldn't care less what clothes someone...
        27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
      • Landlord Address
        bsward
        Hello,

Tenancy finished a couple of months ago. The landlord withheld part of the deposit for a variety of reasons. As the tenant, I disputed those deductions as incorrect - they contradict the Checkout Report which was completed by an agent of the Landlord but that's besides the point....
        27-07-2017, 09:58 AM
      • Reply to Landlord Address
        theartfullodger
        As the tenancy has finished you have no right to his address from agent.

Have you spent £3 with land registry to get deeds of property & see who is listed as owner & what address?? (Landlord may not be owner... legal, no very uncommon...)
        https://www.gov.uk/search-propert...
        27-07-2017, 18:59 PM
      • Tenant's energy debt.
        Gordonmrln
        I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
        20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
      Working...
      X