tenant has left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tenant has left

hi` newbie on here, looking for advice. house was rented to a couple, 3 years ago on 6 monthly lease, rent paid until the end of jan and notice was given 10 days later, they told me they moved everything out today, 21st jan, the house is vacant, no prepaid electric or heating. they have not handed back the keys, can i enter to get some heat on ( -4 C at the min) they have been told keys back to me , house checked, £500 deposit returned within 48 hours. they have been great for 3 years , am i being fair , or am i in the wrong. thanks for any help

I think you would be fine with this. You are allowed access in case of emergency, and I think -4 C is close to an emergency given the situation.

Maybe next time, hang onto the deposit until you have the keys back (iirc you have 14 days) and although you are perfectly entitled to allow the tenants to surrender whenever they want, in law you can choose to insist on a minimum of a months notice - some times longer - and if they don't give it you can retain the rent for the notice period from the deposit.

Comment

thanks snorkerz, i have not returned the deposit yet as they had not returned the keys, they told me they moved out a week ago but i have seen lights on until wed, they said they move the rest of their belongings today, but still refuse to hand the keys back. I think they feel i will hold the deposit for some reason, i am fair with my tenants as i have rented myself, but just feel i am being messed about with them, anyway enough grumbling, i had a good 3 years with them , a bit of stress, a bit of money and a good laugh at times.. thanks again, hope its warmer with you

Comment

Can you find out why they are refusing to hand back the keys? If it is because they have paid until the end of the month, then I can see their point. However, remember what I said about notice - if they go beyond their paid time I would hold some of their deposit to cover the full notice period.

BTW - I don't think it is any warmer here in South Wales!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X