Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straightforward Question?

Hi

We moved into our house about 6 months ago and paid for 6 months in advance + a deposit. We got the house through a local estate agents. We have a verbal arrangement with the landlord, that at the end of Jan when we will be starting the 7th month to go onto a rolling monthly contract.

We had a letter through from the estate agents advising us that to continue our tenancy we would need 6 months in advance again or to be referenced again, including the £200 fee again of course. The landlord has told us to ignore that, and given me bank details to pay the rent into. I'm not sure who holds my deposit, and I'm not sure where I stand as I've not seen any new paperwork either. Hope someone can help, thanks in advance.

Do as the landlord says, your contract is with him, you do not have a contract with the letting agent.

However, is your rent payable at 6 monthly intervals or did you simply pay 6x the monthly rent at the outset of the tenancy, i.e. is the rent reserved for monthly or 6 monthly payments.

Wherever your deposit is it is the responsibility of the landlord to repay it at the end of the tenancy.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by mr. View Post
      We moved into our house about 6 months ago and paid for 6 months in advance + a deposit. We got the house through a local estate agents. We have a verbal arrangement with the landlord, that at the end of Jan when we will be starting the 7th month to go onto a rolling monthly contract.
      Assuming this is an assured shorthold tenancy in England/Wales, a periodic AST (a.k.a. rolling contract) arises automatically under statute if the T remains in occupation after expiry of the fixed term. Same terms as the expired contract, except for provisions relating to notice. In short, the so-called verbal arrangement with the LL is what the law says happens anyway.

We had a letter through from the estate agents advising us that to continue our tenancy we would need 6 months in advance again or to be referenced again, including the £200 fee again of course. The landlord has told us to ignore that, and given me bank details to pay the rent into.
      Your tenancy contract is with the LL not the agent. Ignore the agent and pay the rent as directed by the LL.

I'm not sure who holds my deposit
      Were you provided with the prescribed information regarding deposit protection? If so, which scheme is protecting the deposit?

But as jta says, ultimately, whoever is holding the deposit, the LL is liable for returning the deposit to you.

Comment

It was 6 months just at the start, then I'll be paying him same day each month from 25th Jan.

Good to know about the deposit, that was what I was mostly worried about. I don't think it is with either the estate agents or landlord, I think it is with another company altogether, but wherever it is the landlord has to pay it when we leave?

All this is normal then, not getting any extra paperwork too? Great. Thanks again.

Comment

Exactly what I needed to know, thanks very much indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by mr. View Post
            It was 6 months just at the start, then I'll be paying him same day each month from 25th Jan.

Good to know about the deposit, that was what I was mostly worried about. I don't think it is with either the estate agents or landlord, I think it is with another company altogether, but wherever it is the landlord has to pay it when we leave?

All this is normal then, not getting any extra paperwork too? Great. Thanks again.
            You can use this form to find out which of the 3 schemes hold your deposit - although if it is TDS or My|Deposits they should be mentioned on your tenancy agreement. http://tenancyanswers.ucoz.com/index..._protected/0-4

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X