rent guarantee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rent guarantee

i have been trying to sell a house i own without much sucess,so i need to rent it for the time being.two questions is it wise to rent to the local council as they have a woman with two kids on housing benifit.is the benifit paid directly to me or to the tenant.and if i suspect it goes to the tenant first, is getting some form of rent guarantee a good idea.
    thanks

Very few councils rent property - and those that do are wrapped up in enough red-tape and get-out clauses to frighten all but the most experienced landlord.

What you seem to be proposing is to let the property to this woman (who happens to be getting housing benefit).

In which case, getting rent guarantee insurance may be difficult as she will have to provide a creditworthy homeowner to legally guarantee that she will pay her rent etc. If you can get it, it would be wise, but don't expect it to be easy or cheap.

Have you rented property before? Do you know your own obligations &/or tenants rights? Will your current lender allow you to let the property? What do you propose doing when you find a buyer? If you don't live in the property, your residential insurance will be invalid.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
      Very few councils rent property - and those that do are wrapped up in enough red-tape and get-out clauses to frighten all but the most experienced landlord.
      Their lettings are mostly governed by the Housing Act 1985.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X