My landlord will not repair a lwaking bath into electrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My landlord will not repair a lwaking bath into electrics

My landlord has refused to fix my bath it is moving away from wall and if you use bath at all the water goes straight down to kitchen and the water is going straight into a electrical box and is as a electrian just told me dangarous and could set light?? waht can i do and i also recive housing benifit can withold till she does repair?? thanks

This sounds very dangerous.

Don't use witholding the rent as a stick - it's illegal and too slow.
    Contact the Housing department via your neighbourhood office or via the council switchboard and ask for the landlord/tenant liaison officer. In my area they are known as the Private Tenancy Team - names will differ. If you have internet you'll get the department from the council website. They will act on your behalf (and quickly in serious cases).
    Normally advice would be to contact the landlord but you've done that so you need to escalate, particularly as there's a fire hazard.

You may get different views on here but at least involve the Private Tenancy Team who will know all the ins and outs.

I should add the Housing department Private Tenancy Team aren't connected to council housing - they act in the private sector - your sector.

Comment

Originally posted by LAW View Post
      My landlord has refused to fix my bath it is moving away from wall and if you use bath at all the water goes straight down to kitchen and the water is going straight into a electrical box and is as a electrian just told me dangarous and could set light?? waht can i do and i also recive housing benifit can withold till she does repair?? thanks
      The LL has a statutory obligation to carry out this repair under s.11 Landlord & Tenant Act 1985.

You have a contractual obligation to pay the rent, so, no, you're not entitled to withhold it arbitrarily.

See this link for options on dealing with a LL who fails to carry out statutory repairs:
      http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...n_private_lets

These options include asking the Environmental Health Officer at the local council to inspect; the council have powers to force the LL to carry out the repair.

Another alternative is to carry out the repair yourself, and deduct the cost of the repair from the rent. However, there is a strict procedure which must be followed, involving writing several letters to the LL, and obtaining quotes for the work. You will find details on the Shelter link under "Tenants doing repairs".

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X