Can sec 21 proceedings be started while sec 8 proceedings are still occuring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can sec 21 proceedings be started while sec 8 proceedings are still occuring?

Right my wretched tenant has been served sec 8 and sec 21 notices just before Christmas. Sec 8 will be expiring next week. So I shall begin court proceedings under sec 8. However as things go if it gets delayed and hearings after hearing, still no decision from the courts. By that time my Sec 21 notice expires. What should I do then? Can I start sec 21 proceedings as well and see which one gets the chap evicted first or do I have to wait until my sec 8 proccedings are completed and only take action under sec 21 if the court rules against me. To be safe should I not file another sec 21 notice before the end of the month, as I am not sure my sec 21 will still be valid in three months time if it has not been exercised?

When you start your s8 proceedings (presuming you do so on-line) you will be given a court date immediately. Providing that date isn't too far after the expiry of your s21 then I would wait until you know the outcome - why waste another £150?

Providing it was valid in the first place, and assuming you haven't issued a new tenancy agreement since it was issued (!) then your s21 will remain valid indefinitely.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Labour taxation plans
      by SouthernDave
      The limited company system has been abused for too long by people trying to save on tax by claiming they are a company. I know loads of people of set themselves up as limted companies and have now been caught by IR35. They have spoiled it for those of us who have proper companies to rub who used to...
      22-01-2022, 17:55 PM
    • Labour taxation plans
      by steaming
      Rachel Reeves R4 this am told the interviewer that Labour (when in power) would raise money by taxing those with BTL property much more than at present, she opined it was wrong that “they” were “getting away with it”. No challenge from BBC or fact check as to present tax. You are warned.
      20-01-2022, 16:55 PM
    • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
      by SouthernDave
      I thought the main issue of taking a tenant on UC is not so much the fact they are receiving benefits, but the fact that its a pain in the proverbial to evict as the council tell them to sot tight until forced out by bailiffs....
      22-01-2022, 17:47 PM
    • Greetings, I Come in Peace
      by AVJ113
      Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
      20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
    • Reply to Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
      by AndrewDod
      I think you need to ask whether he/she is responsible for the things you say, and whether these warrant immediate attention as you think they do:

a) leaking shower - what do you mean exactly. Leak from where, when...
      b) broken burglar alarm - what is broken? What does your contract...
      22-01-2022, 16:59 PM
    • Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
      by Lucylou99
      Hi just after some advice. I have been renting the property for 4.5 years, 4 of those with a fantastic landlord and 6 months with a new landlord. When he took over he immediately increased the rent by 25%, annoying but perfectly within his rights. The main issue is maintainance and repairs. I cant report...
      21-01-2022, 22:11 PM
    • Reply to Occupational rent to an executor.
      by Lawcruncher
      It is in the nature of co-ownership that each owner owns the whole and each is therefore entitled to occupy the whole. The sister's right.therefore is not to receive rent but to occupy the property as well. If the sister does not want to share occupation but wants some benefit then, keeping things simple,...
      22-01-2022, 16:08 PM
    • Occupational rent to an executor.
      by Yoda 111
      I am currently living in my deceased mother's house which I have lived in for 46 years my sister is the executor of the Will. My mother died in February 2020 so nearly 2 years ago and now my sister want's to charge me occupational rent from the time of death up until grant of probate was granted may...
      20-01-2022, 19:44 PM
    • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
      by AVJ113
      Not at all, it's all very informative, thank you. I think I might opt out of criterion 3 though, I'm not a pie and chips man myself....
      22-01-2022, 15:20 PM
    • Reply to Charity Opening up house next door as Temp Housing
      by jpkeates
      Whatever happened to innocent people co-operating with the authorities so that other people aren't abused?...
      22-01-2022, 15:17 PM
    Working...
    X