Advice Please, Firsst time Letting,Owner Occupier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Please, Firsst time Letting,Owner Occupier

Hi All, New here and just looking for a little advice.

I recently just bought my First flat currently living here on my own and allmost finnished decorating ready with the view to renting the second bedroom as an owner occupier Let.

Really not sure what I need to do, what my legal obligations are, and those of any prospective tennant.

I'm a pretty easy going guy, and while I would want tennant to feel at home, also that they respect the property.

Also how do people normally work things like Bill?
    Do they have right to use lounge so forth or is that defined in how I let the property, sorry if it all seems a little vauge but as well as wanting to cover myself from a legal stand point, I dont wanna come across as an akward person to live with, or is that to much like wanting it all my way?

Any hoo, hopefully look forward to recieving some pointers.
    Thanks
    Dean.

Originally posted by Dean_A View Post
    I recently just bought my First flat currently living here on my own and allmost finnished decorating ready with the view to renting the second bedroom as an owner occupier Let.

Really not sure what I need to do, what my legal obligations are, and those of any prospective tennant.
    The first thing you need to do is clear your mind of any notion of the word 'tenant' - you will be looking for a 'lodger'. The distinction is very important as lodgers have far fewer rights than tenants because they are sharing your own home, and you don't want tio end up 'accidentally' giving them more rights than you need to.

Try searching this forum for stuff like 'lodger' and 'owner-occupier' and you'll find lots of helpful info; then come back and ask specific queries.

Comment

If you are also living in the property, other people living with you cannot be tenants - they would be lodgers.
      As lodgers, they have much less rights and you can pretty much set down whatever terms you want, including lounge use and having guests over, etc, etc.

Its all upto you what you want to be the rules. Don't have a lock on the bedroom door either.

I would write everything down that you want the lodger to observe in an agreement, including whatever notice you or the lodger need to give if things don't work out or when you need the lodger to leave.
      Just remember that if you ended up moving out, anyone else that remained living at the flat would automatically become a tenant.

Read up on becoming a live in landlord and about lodgers.
      Plenty of threads on this site on the subject.

There's a book I found on amazon that might help.
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quick-Guide-...3999317&sr=1-1
      Natural selection is a wonderful thing
      You shall know them by their fruit
      Saying "Never say never", says it

Comment

Interview any prospective lodgers really carefully before you agree to let them live in your house. However easy-going you feel you are, you may feel different when when they have left their dirty crockery lying around for weeks on end, constantly leave the lights on, stayed in the shower for 30 minutes at a stretch (seriously - it happens!), smoked in the flat when you are a non-smoker, or invited their partner/friend/mother/long lost uncle to stay overnight for three weeks. You might find this thread useful:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...=lodgers+Poppy

It's a bit of an epic, but it makes interesting reading!
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I will have a nose round the site, cheers for the search pointers.

Comment

Read this
            http://www.lodgerlandlord.co.uk/

Comment

You can get a pre-printed lodger agreement form WHSmith for around a fiver, and you will find www.lodgerlandlord.co.uk invaluable. (EDIT: Westminster types faster than I!)

You will need to tell your household insurers about your lodger - expect a premium increase.
              You will need to tell HMRC about him too - but with the "rent a room" scheme you should pay no extra tax.
              If you are currently claiming the 25% single person discount on council tax - you'll lose that too
              Last edited by Snorkerz; 02-01-2011, 20:33 PM. Reason: Westminster types faster than I

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by Lawcruncher
                Just to clarify, what I meant was that the requirement comes from the tenancy terms if they include it....
                29-01-2022, 08:38 AM
              • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by Piffy
                I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
              • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                by Flashback1966
                or just work hard and hopefully take an early retirement.

You can't predict the future. Things always go in cycle. They want to get rid of Section 21, so you may be unable to get your property back. You may end up working and subsidising your rentals....
                29-01-2022, 03:42 AM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by DoricPixie
                It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
                28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
              • Renting rooms
                by Luke
                I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
                I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
                I do not intend to live at the property
                Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
                As its...
                28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by DoricPixie
                I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
                28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by theartfullodger
                Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
                28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by Hudson01
                If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
                28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
              • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by jpkeates
                That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
                The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
                28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
              Working...
              X