Joint tenancies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joint tenancies

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me with a problem.

We started off with a 6 month short hold tenancy, with two tenants and one co-habiting. After 6 months, I moved out and the other two stayed on and renewed the tenancy. We believe this to be a new contract, what are my rights in regards to my deposit?, as the real estate agency has told me it has been carried over into this contract, and I would have to arrange with the tenants to be repay me themselves.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Originally posted by kippy11 View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if you could help me with a problem.

We started off with a 6 month short hold tenancy, with two tenants and one co-habiting. After 6 months, I moved out and the other two stayed on and renewed the tenancy. We believe this to be a new contract, what are my rights in regards to my deposit?, as the real estate agency has told me it has been carried over into this contract, and I would have to arrange with the tenants to be repay me themselves.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Yes, it is a new contract. Assuming your tenancy was a joint one, the original deposit should have been protected (assuming tenancy began after April 06) as the joint deposit for the joint tenancy to which you were party. When that tenancy ended, the whole deposit should have been released to you and your co-tenant (or to whichever of you was named as Lead Tenant for deposit protection purposes), not held over for the new tenancy which was then begun. That is totally irregular.

The agent should have known this - it's pretty basic stuff.

Given that it was held over, the simplest option for you is for the new co-tenant to pay you whatever you paid towards the joint deposit, although that could prove problematic, as the wrong names would still be on the DPS account.If the new co-tenant will not pay you your deposit back (have you asked?), you and your former co-tenant will need to apply for it to the protection scheme, pointing out that your joint tenancy has ended and that you are requesting your deposit back.

Was the original deposit protected and if so, who was the Lead Tenant?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks so much for your reply,

the deposit was protected and the lead tenant was my house mate

Comment

And are you still on good terms with him/her? Good enough to persuade him to claim the deposit back from the scheme?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

No not really I'm afraid and definitely not enough for them to claim it back

Comment

Originally posted by kippy11 View Post
            We started off with a 6 month short hold tenancy, with two tenants and one co-habiting. After 6 months, I moved out and the other two stayed on and renewed the tenancy. We believe this to be a new contract, what are my rights in regards to my deposit?
            Were you one of the two named joint tenants on the original 6 month contract?

If so, did you give notice to end the joint tenancy, or just move out on the last day of the fixed term?

Are you named as one of the joint tenants on the 'renewal' contract?

Comment

I just moved out on the last day of the fixed term,I was one of the joint tenants and I'm not a tenant on the renewal contract

Thanks again for all your help

Comment

Has a new tenancy actually been signed between the landlord & your former flatmates? Or has your original tenancy simply continued as a Statutory Periodic Tenancy?

Comment

Ah - I was assuming it was a new contract as OP said it was 'renewed'. You may well be right, Snorkerz - and if it was simply allowed to run on as an SPT, then OP is in an even more vulnerable situation.

Comment

I think it sounds like a new contract with new Ts *was* signed, in which case kippy11 should be okay insofar as he/she could, if necessary, argue that, even though the original tenancy wasn't formally ended by notice, it has been surrendered by operation of law, i.e. the actions of all parties, both original tenants/LL, would support this interpretation.

@kippy11, I would try contacting the deposit protection scheme to ask whether you can start a dispute even though you were not the lead tenant.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Flat rental bathroom query
                      by Landyman
                      Are you saying that the toilet and basin are out in the open, adjacent to the kitchen? Or are they in a separate room?

Does the room have a window? Or a fan ventilator?

It's had to visualise exactly what you mean. Could you sketch a simple floorplan and upload that here p...
                      16-01-2022, 23:47 PM
                    • Flat rental bathroom query
                      by NewGuyOne
                      Hello,

A rented flat with a toilet (of course) and basin next to the kitchen, and a bedroom with a quite small en suite - shower/basin/rail for towel ... Is this acceptable in a flat - with no additional separate bathroom?

Flat consists of 1 bedroom en suite, hallway, lounge,...
                      16-01-2022, 20:13 PM
                    • Reply to Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
                      by axil23
                      Thank you Lawcruncher.

Just so I am not reading the lease wrong. Executed as a deed means that it has to say that and be witnessed by a 3rd party right?...
                      16-01-2022, 23:23 PM
                    • Problems with tenant getting work done and not paying me rent
                      by axil23
                      I have rented my house to a {name removed} who use it to house Asylum seekers from a govt contract. In June the flat roof developed a leak and they asked me to fix it which I did the next day. 6 months later I get a bill for £1900 for scaffolding, asbestos survey, party wall agreement & for some...
                      13-01-2022, 12:05 PM
                    • surrender of lease charges
                      by jshire
                      Hi,
                      I'm trying to assist a family member who is in the process of surrendering a lease on a shared flat (all tenants moving out). The landlord agreed as the reasons were reasonable. He's sent an email stating that there will be costs that the tenants have to meet, charged by the letting agent...
                      16-01-2022, 20:49 PM
                    • Reply to Gas certificate fail
                      by MdeB
                      But if you had a valid certificate when the tenancy started but failed to give it to the tenant, then I believe that providing them with a current certificate before serving S21 will be OK....
                      16-01-2022, 20:30 PM
                    • Gas certificate fail
                      by ReginaPhalangi
                      We've been renting out our property since 2017 and now have given notice to our tenants to leave. However we have just realised that we have failed to get a gas certificate during their tenancy. Is it possible to get the gas certificate now? Would we need to give notice again after we issue the gas...
                      15-01-2022, 20:05 PM
                    • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
                      by MdeB
                      There are a number (of the order of 20) of grounds under which possession can be sought. See the Housing Act 1988.

The claim is for the period for which they were paying rent whilst there was no required licence in place, up to a maximum of 12 months. Getting a licence ends...
                      16-01-2022, 19:32 PM
                    • Reply to No Tenancy agreement
                      by MdeB
                      That depends on when the tenancy started.

Or, possibly, the one in place when it is given to the tenant. The regulations are ambiguous...
                      16-01-2022, 19:18 PM
                    • Reply to Wales: New Legislation – your roles and responsibilities
                      by steaming
                      4. Antisocial behaviour…..a fair and consistent approach to everyone. No. 4 is then not mentioned in the extended information (click link). Surely this needs explaining in detail or, maybe, they haven’t actually thought further that the nine words used. No surprise.
                      16-01-2022, 19:17 PM
                    Working...
                    X