Spontaneous crack appeared in double glazed who's responsible to repair L or T?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Spontaneous crack appeared in double glazed who's responsible to repair L or T?

    Hi,

    I am a tenant living in the apartment for 2 years. Recently I have observed spontaneous crack appeared on fixed side of patio double glazed with no apparent reason. I belive reason could be thermal stress because of extreme weather condition in last few days.

    Who's responsible for this reapir L or T?

    Appreciate your advice.

    #2
    Landlord as it is not caused by you behaving in an "untenantlike" manner.

    P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
      Landlord as it is not caused by you behaving in an "untenantlike" manner.
      Absolutely. Windows are part of the fabric of the building which is the LL's responsibility to maintain... double glazing units do occasionally fail like this - I remember watching a similar crack propagating across a pane at a rate of about an inch per day until I replaced it! It should be completely obvious to the LL that the damage has not been caused by anything you have or haven't done. Come back and let us know if you have any problems.

      Comment


        #4
        Landlord has a statutory responsibility to repair - section 11 of the 1985 Landlord & Tenant Act.

        He may in turn be able to charge you for the repair, but only if the damage was provably caused by you.

        Comment


          #5
          Would something like this be covered by insurance (building or contents)?
          Mrs Jones
          I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Mrs Jones View Post
            Would something like this be covered by insurance (building or contents)?
            I would have thought so. Or perhaps under the double glazing manufacturer's warranty, if a recent installation?
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
              Landlord as it is not caused by you behaving in an "untenantlike" manner.
              P.P.
              It was not caused by me as tenant but appeared spontaneously.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                I would have thought so. Or perhaps under the double glazing manufacturer's warranty, if a recent installation?
                Building is new consturction 3-4 years old. don't have an idea about Mfg's warranty? What is the period of warranty generally?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                  Landlord has a statutory responsibility to repair - section 11 of the 1985 Landlord & Tenant Act.

                  He may in turn be able to charge you for the repair, but only if the damage was provably caused by you.
                  As damage is not cuased by me then how can he prove that it was done by tenant and not spontaneous ?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    To take such reasonable and prudent precautions expected of a householder as may be required from time to time, but particularly between and including the months of November to February, to prevent damage by frost or freezing occuring to the premises, its fixtures or fittings.
                    Thanks everyone for your responses.
                    The above clause is mentioned in my tenancy agreement. Does it mean I am a tenant is responsible for the damage of the double glazed with no apparent reason?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Absolutely not! The national organisation who I use for double glazing - no names mentioned, thus no advertising, give a ten year warranty on their products and installation. They do too - they telephoned me a couple of months ago to announce that their ten year warranty on my own home installation was about to expire - were there any little jobs thay could do before the warranty finally expired? There were a few and their man came out and fixed them. Your sponstaneously cracking pane is probably a warranty job and it is up to your landlord to deal with it.

                      P.P.
                      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by neo.kap View Post
                        The above clause is mentioned in my tenancy agreement. Does it mean I am a tenant is responsible for the damage of the double glazed with no apparent reason?
                        No, stop worrying. That clause is all about freezing/bursting water pipes etc. I can't begin to imagine what precautions you might take to prevent a window from cracking due to thermal problems (if indeed that's the cause) - covering the entire house in bubble-wrap, maybe?!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                          No, stop worrying. That clause is all about freezing/bursting water pipes etc. I can't begin to imagine what precautions you might take to prevent a window from cracking due to thermal problems (if indeed that's the cause) - covering the entire house in bubble-wrap, maybe?!
                          Breathing heavily on all the windows at regular intervals?
                          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Thank you all for your replies.

                            Comment

                            Latest Activity

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X