Spontaneous crack appeared in double glazed who's responsible to repair L or T?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spontaneous crack appeared in double glazed who's responsible to repair L or T?

Hi,

I am a tenant living in the apartment for 2 years. Recently I have observed spontaneous crack appeared on fixed side of patio double glazed with no apparent reason. I belive reason could be thermal stress because of extreme weather condition in last few days.

Who's responsible for this reapir L or T?

Appreciate your advice.

Landlord as it is not caused by you behaving in an "untenantlike" manner.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
      Absolutely. Windows are part of the fabric of the building which is the LL's responsibility to maintain... double glazing units do occasionally fail like this - I remember watching a similar crack propagating across a pane at a rate of about an inch per day until I replaced it! It should be completely obvious to the LL that the damage has not been caused by anything you have or haven't done. Come back and let us know if you have any problems.

Comment

Landlord has a statutory responsibility to repair - section 11 of the 1985 Landlord & Tenant Act.

He may in turn be able to charge you for the repair, but only if the damage was provably caused by you.

Comment

Would something like this be covered by insurance (building or contents)?
          Mrs Jones
          I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Jones View Post
            Would something like this be covered by insurance (building or contents)?
            I would have thought so. Or perhaps under the double glazing manufacturer's warranty, if a recent installation?
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
              P.P.
              It was not caused by me as tenant but appeared spontaneously.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                I would have thought so. Or perhaps under the double glazing manufacturer's warranty, if a recent installation?
                Building is new consturction 3-4 years old. don't have an idea about Mfg's warranty? What is the period of warranty generally?

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                  Landlord has a statutory responsibility to repair - section 11 of the 1985 Landlord & Tenant Act.

He may in turn be able to charge you for the repair, but only if the damage was provably caused by you.
                  As damage is not cuased by me then how can he prove that it was done by tenant and not spontaneous ?

Comment

To take such reasonable and prudent precautions expected of a householder as may be required from time to time, but particularly between and including the months of November to February, to prevent damage by frost or freezing occuring to the premises, its fixtures or fittings.
                    Thanks everyone for your responses.
                    The above clause is mentioned in my tenancy agreement. Does it mean I am a tenant is responsible for the damage of the double glazed with no apparent reason?

Comment

Absolutely not! The national organisation who I use for double glazing - no names mentioned, thus no advertising, give a ten year warranty on their products and installation. They do too - they telephoned me a couple of months ago to announce that their ten year warranty on my own home installation was about to expire - were there any little jobs thay could do before the warranty finally expired? There were a few and their man came out and fixed them. Your sponstaneously cracking pane is probably a warranty job and it is up to your landlord to deal with it.

P.P.
                      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by neo.kap View Post
                        The above clause is mentioned in my tenancy agreement. Does it mean I am a tenant is responsible for the damage of the double glazed with no apparent reason?
                        No, stop worrying. That clause is all about freezing/bursting water pipes etc. I can't begin to imagine what precautions you might take to prevent a window from cracking due to thermal problems (if indeed that's the cause) - covering the entire house in bubble-wrap, maybe?!

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                          No, stop worrying. That clause is all about freezing/bursting water pipes etc. I can't begin to imagine what precautions you might take to prevent a window from cracking due to thermal problems (if indeed that's the cause) - covering the entire house in bubble-wrap, maybe?!
                          Breathing heavily on all the windows at regular intervals?
                          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thank you all for your replies.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Part of deposit not protected
                              coppernob
                              Hi all,

Last December we entered into an AST (initial 6 month fixed term) and paid a deposit of £900, which included a £200 pet deposit for our dog. This full £900 was put into the a deposit protection scheme.

Towards the end of January we wished to get another dog, and...
                              16-07-2019, 10:26 AM
                            • Tenant withdrawing notice
                              bagus
                              I accepted tenants' notice to quit their SPT mid period. Their leaving date is really badly timed for me (2 weeks into summer hols, preventing me taking the kids abroad).

The notice wasn't valid, since it didn't end on the first or last day of the monthly SPT, but I did accept it. Now,...
                              16-07-2019, 08:25 AM
                            • Reply to Tenant withdrawing notice
                              Lawcruncher
                              I think this is one where a pragmatic approach is required. The only way to achieve legal certainty is to have an agreement for surrender which complies with the Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1988 - but that will not of course guarantee that the tenants will actually leave on the agreed...
                              16-07-2019, 10:12 AM
                            • How best to handle a "pet" issue?
                              milleniumaire
                              Our tenants have been in our rental for nearly 4 years without issue. The original fixed term tenancy agreement gave way to a periodic tenancy. The tenants have been good, if rather untidy!

Over the weekend while performing some maintenance while the tenants were away on holiday for a...
                              16-07-2019, 10:04 AM
                            • Landlord CCTV camera pointing into shower cubicle
                              Calif123
                              Hello all,

I'm a tenant and have just moved into a rented property under a 6 month fixed term AST. The landlord lives next door.

After moving in, I discovered that the landlord has a CCTV camera affixed to this property on the roof, with clear line sight into our en suite...
                              15-07-2019, 16:28 PM
                            • Reply to Landlord CCTV camera pointing into shower cubicle
                              leaseholder64
                              Having made such accusations, you can expect a section 21 notice at the earliest opportunity, but, if you are right, blocking the window will deny the offender entertainment until you can be removed, and they can't even seek possession until after the six months end.
                              16-07-2019, 09:57 AM
                            • “Reasonable time”
                              roxylouise
                              Hi all,

Probably not the normal ‘reasonable time for repair’ post from a tenant because I’m actually more looking to back my argument that it doesn’t HAVE to be sorted as quickly as everyone is saying and they need to chill out!

We came back from our week honeymoon...
                              15-07-2019, 17:38 PM
                            • Reply to “Reasonable time”
                              Hudson01
                              What jpkeates says..... the landlord sounds like they are in the dark at the moment, i would consider no hot water as urgent, i know of properties where the bathroom only has a bath and a hand shower run from the taps !!! Kettles will not help here. So yes a day or two to get an engineer out then see...
                              16-07-2019, 09:03 AM
                            • Reply to Tenant withdrawing notice
                              bagus
                              They wanted to leave 10th August, now it's 13th August. I don't use an agent and I did the check in, so would prefer to do the check out. They are decent people, if slightly incompetent and they don't have lots of money, so they will need their deposit back ASAP. I want to work on their side, but want...
                              16-07-2019, 08:54 AM
                            • Tenants divorcing/separating
                              Shaunagus
                              Hi

I’ve just had a text off one of my tenants. Sadly he and his wife are separating. She is staying in the property with the kids he is moving out. I need to change the tenancy agreement. It’s now a “rolling contract” having previously been a six month assured tenancy.
                              15-07-2019, 17:51 PM
                            Working...
                            X