broken cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broken cooker

I am hoping that someone can help me here as I am desperate!!!
    I rent a house from the private sector of a housing company and on 6th December i told them that my integral fan oven,(provided by them), has stopped working. I think it is the element but despite sending them a further email on the 13th December the cooker is still not fixed!!
    I have just rung the agency and they got the local company who fix the electrics etc to ring me. They have stated that they do not have any record of being asked to do the repairs and say they now have no appointments free before christmas that i am able to attend. I have to work and the only time i can get off is tomorrow morning but they have nothing til christmas eve, which i cannot do as i am again working and it is our busiest day!!
    I now have family coming to me for christmas day and nowhere to cook the turkey etc. So far i have been using a little table top oven (which i provided myself and had PAT tested at my own expense) but i cannot fit a turkey in there as it is very small. The agency do not want to know and are very disinterested, what can i do????
    I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me please to avoid a dissapointing christmas!!!
    jax

Originally posted by jackiekruse View Post
    I am hoping that someone can help me here as I am desperate!!!
    I rent a house from the private sector of a housing company and on 6th December i told them that my integral fan oven,(provided by them), has stopped working. I think it is the element but despite sending them a further email on the 13th December the cooker is still not fixed!!
    I have just rung the agency and they got the local company who fix the electrics etc to ring me. They have stated that they do not have any record of being asked to do the repairs and say they now have no appointments free before christmas that i am able to attend. I have to work and the only time i can get off is tomorrow morning but they have nothing til christmas eve, which i cannot do as i am again working and it is our busiest day!!
    I now have family coming to me for christmas day and nowhere to cook the turkey etc. So far i have been using a little table top oven (which i provided myself and had PAT tested at my own expense) but i cannot fit a turkey in there as it is very small. The agency do not want to know and are very disinterested, what can i do????
    I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me please to avoid a dissapointing christmas!!!
    jax
    Theres very little that you can do, other than try and make the appointment or get someone else to let them in.

Comment

Go and take your turkey to another rellies house to cook. I'm sure they will help out. This stuff happens sometimes so do Christmas somewhere else.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
        Go and take your turkey to another rellies house to cook. I'm sure they will help out. This stuff happens sometimes so do Christmas somewhere else.
        Yes -stuffing happens inside the turkey.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jackiekruse View Post
          I have just rung the agency and they got the local company who fix the electrics etc to ring me. They have stated that they do not have any record of being asked to do the repairs and say they now have no appointments free before christmas that i am able to attend. I have to work and the only time i can get off is tomorrow morning but they have nothing til christmas eve, which i cannot do as i am again working
          Is the landlord contractually obliged, under the terms of your tenancy agreement, to repair the cooker - because there is no legal requirement to do so? Even if he is, there isn't much you can do to enforce the obligation within a couple of days, especially at such a busy time of year. If I were you I would either arrange for someone else to be at home for the LL's contractor to attend, or [try to] arrange the repair myself. And in future, I suggest you follow up emails reporting disrepair with a phone call, to make sure the LL/agent is on the case and to pin them down to a date/time for the repair.

Comment

Just cook half the turkey on Christmas Day - or whatever amount will fit in the oven you have got. Or go to another family member's home, as suggested.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Inherited a few rentals
              by Flashback1966
              With regards to keep or sell. Those 4 properties are not just assets, but you need to see them as say children, which need looking after. You can't switch off because you are busy. It is 24/7 responsibility, as you are responsible for the property and the health and safety of the people living. If...
              26-01-2022, 14:23 PM
            • Inherited a few rentals
              by Landlord7289
              Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
              25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
              by Flashback1966
              Almost anything beats working for a living.

Running a portfolio is just as demanding and stressful. If someone worked in an office, it is a 9 to 5 job. Their taxes are paid by their employer.

Running a portfolio of properties, can be demanding. Even with agents in place....
              26-01-2022, 13:46 PM
              by jpkeates
              Almost anything beats working for a living.

Becoming a landlord because you've inherited some property makes about as much sense as inheriting several cars and setting up a taxi business.
              26-01-2022, 13:19 PM
              by theartfullodger
              Well, unless one was a masocist. Been retired 14 years now, those memories of work fading also....
              26-01-2022, 12:53 PM
            • Reply to Renting process
              by theartfullodger
              Very true, becoming more common I hear....
              26-01-2022, 12:51 PM
            • Renting process
              by Smudge
              Hi all. So im going through the process of renting a house. Arranged a viewing with the landlord, said i would like to rent and go to next step. LL said letting agent would be in touch i was told to fill in a APPLICATION which was just very basic info. Personal details landlord ref and work info etc....
              25-01-2022, 18:16 PM
            • Reply to Renting process
              by DPT57
              Or a scammer!
              26-01-2022, 12:42 PM
              by Turbine Terry
              Yes, perhaps my implication that landlording was "joyful" was a bit of a stretch. Joyful was not the best choice of word to use to describe being a landlord. IMO it's more often than not still better than doing a 'proper' job though ...
              26-01-2022, 12:04 PM
              by islandgirl
              Excellent post from TT above - I vote for lots more thinking and planning rather than a knee jerk "sell". The OP may wish to increase the portfolio and look to retire early from his job - who knows what the full picture is? There may be long term tenants who are no problem and a good agency...
              26-01-2022, 11:57 AM
            Working...
            X