Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private Sector Leasing

Hi,

I have a problem with a PSL scheme I entered into and was hoping someone here might be able to advise me.

Brief Background:

I entered in to a 3 year Private Sector Leasing Scheme with a London Council just over a year ago. This scheme is managed through a group of letting agents specified by the council.

The lease agreement is between the agent and myself with references to the council in the clauses. Under its terms in order to terminate the lease before the 3 years I am required to give three months notice – which may or may not be accepted but the agent may give 28 days’ notice to terminate the lease (seems odd).

Situation:

The council, through the agent, tried to offer me significantly lower rent midway through the lease stating their budget had been cut. I rejected their offer and said if they were unable to pay me the agreed rate then they should send me the required 28 days notice to terminate the lease and hand me vacant possession.

It all went quiet for six months after which a received a letter saying the tenants would be moving out in 3 days and they would hand back the property immediately thereafter. I did not receive any notice of termination let alone 28 days. The agent says because I didn’t accept the lower rate this is the same as a notice. That sounds like BS.

The property was left in a state of serious disrepair despite the agreement of “regular inspections” by the council.

Do I have the right to make a claim for the 28 days notice required by the lease and the loss of rent because of the abrupt ending of the lease as well as the disrepair?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Any thoughts guys?

Comment

Well I'd definitely have a go at claiming on the basis don't ask don't get. Was any deposit paid? I would also write to the letting agent/copy to council asking why damage was not notiified earlier and ask for details of their inspections. Don't forget to document damage now and had you an inventory before the start of the leaseing?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Been living in my own BTL...
        by boletus
        Speak to an independent mortgage broker before doing anything.

It's an unintentional mistake.

The Hunter blacklist is mainly used to frighten the children.
        05-12-2021, 16:49 PM
      • Been living in my own BTL...
        by eshjie
        I have only just realized the pickle I have got myself into. And would like some advice.

In Jan/Feb 2021 I split up with my long term partner and moved out. My flat (which I lived in originally) which was previously let out to a tennant was empty and so I moved back in as I had nowhere...
        05-12-2021, 14:57 PM
      • Reply to Dogs
        by jpkeates
        I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
        You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.
        05-12-2021, 16:21 PM
      • Dogs
        by Bridge2020
        My tenant has asked if he can get a dog. Where do I stand on this ?...
        05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
        by jpkeates
        The lender won't repossess initially.
        If they're unhappy, they'll "ask" for the mortgage to be repaid, they'll only repossess if you can't repay the mortgage.

There's a risk you'll be blacklisted anyway.
        05-12-2021, 16:16 PM
      • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
        by jpkeates
        Assuming it's an AST (STA's are Scottish)...
        You don't have to renew the tenancy, just let it become periodic.
        And, you're right, don't renew it.

To repossess, you'll either have to attend court or pay a solicitor to do so on your behalf.

If the tenant doesn't owe...
        05-12-2021, 16:13 PM
      • STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
        by Noisette
        Hello, I'm hoping to clarify a few points with landlords who've had experience of non-payment of rent and Section 8 notice. Background: We emigrated in 2007. UK house sale fell through, but we've had good tenants under an STA renewed annually since 2012. In summer 2020, they had difficulties paying...
        05-12-2021, 13:59 PM
        by eshjie
        Thanks for the reply. Yeah this sounds like the right thing to do.

Thankfully I have enough in investments to pay off this property (flat) otherwise I'd be really panicking. Worse case it they tried to repo i could cash eveything out and pay to keep the property.

Really don't...
        05-12-2021, 16:12 PM
      • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
        by theartfullodger
        Paragraphs.

Do you have paperwork from HMRC permitting tenants not to deduct 20% rent for taxman? (Required for non-uk-resident landlords)

Think (hope) you mean AST not STA.

There's almost always no evictions over Xmas. (Court practice).

Have you...
        05-12-2021, 16:05 PM
        by theartfullodger
        They may well already know from the "hunter" system. Strongly suggest you do what we'd all like all agents & tenants to do.Be honest, 'fess up.

I'm confident they have the right to repo , more dangerous you might find yourself blacklisted on hunter system and find any remortgage,...
        05-12-2021, 15:50 PM
      Working...
      X