Landlord refuses to fix c/heating and windows

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Landlord refuses to fix c/heating and windows

    I moved into my house about 15 months ago and when we moved in the Landlord said he would change the windows as they are rotting and to date he still says they are on order.

    Also we have been having heating problems as well as a very loud shower that he has been ignoring for about 4 months now allways telling us he is sending a plumber etc. He did send a plumber once to fix the hot water but it only broke again the next day and now we are having to use the electrical backup and it is costing us a fair bit more every month.

    I'm not sure what to do, we do have a 6 month clause and I have not signed and delivered the new contract yet, we have not broken or modified anything in the house and he does have 3 months advance as the deposit.

    What would you suggest? Personaly I would rather move as winter is near and my heating does not work but I cant move if I dont get my deposit back.

    Speak to your local authority, explain the problems and if they are reasonable they should come out and do a survey under HHSRS and identify hazards, which by your post sounds as though there maybe some category 1 hazards which could be done under an improvement notice issued by the LA


      You might do much better than that. Write to the landlord stating that if the listed repairs are not commenced within 7 days you will appoint a contractor the cost of which you deduct from the rent and pay the contractor yourself. Perfectly legal as your landlord is in breach of:-

      1. S.11 Landlord & Tenant Act 1985
      2. Defective Premises Act 1972
      3. Protection from Eviction Act 1977
      Confront him with this and take it from there.

      If he loses his temper with you then that might be considered harassment and also breaches (3) above. Courts don't like poor landlords.
      The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


        Thanks, I will write him that letter.


        Latest Activity