Landlord responsible for fixing my gas fire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord responsible for fixing my gas fire?

Hi,
    Can someone please point me in the right direction here. We moved into our rented accomodation in June this year, after we had signed the contract a gas check was done and the gas fire condemned- they said a service should fix it. The letting agent said they would sort it, its now six months later its not fixed and are saying they are not going to as we have central heating.
    Am i right in thinking they still have to repair it? I am having to heat up my whole house all the time

Yes, the LL is legally obliged to fix any installations for heating under s.11 Landlord & Tenant Act 1985.

See
    http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-fac...ligations.html
    http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...n_private_lets

Comment

Yes the landlord is liable to repair the fire.
      The fact you have central heating is no excuse to leave you without the fire.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
        Yes, the LL is legally obliged to fix any installations for heating under s.11 Landlord & Tenant Act 1985.

See
        http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-fac...ligations.html
        http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...n_private_lets
        Originally posted by kernow View Post
        Yes the landlord is liable to repair the fire.
        Both correct, unless:
        a. the letting is for >7yrs; or
        b. L obtained a prior Court Order disapplying s.11.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

When was the gas check done? Prior or during your tenancy?
          Do you have proof to show that you were told that it would be fixed?

Originally posted by cconte View Post
          I am having to heat up my whole house all the time
          Like most people do?
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
            Like most people do?
            Not whilst they're out at work, no.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

hiya i rent a 2 bed house and my gas fire are condemned too.
              i look around the house and like it but when we looked around the house they did not tell me that the fires where condemned they told me after i had move in

Comment

We signed the contract then they had the gas check done before we moved in as it was the first time the property had been rented out.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                  Not whilst they're out at work, no.
                  Exactly, the house gets so cold i have to have the heating on all the time otherwise its cold when we get home as it takes so long to warm up, i have a three year old daughter so would like to be able to just heat downstairs.

Comment

Originally posted by cconte View Post
                    Exactly, the house gets so cold i have to have the heating on all the time otherwise its cold when we get home as it takes so long to warm up, i have a three year old daughter so would like to be able to just heat downstairs.
                    I'm surprised you can't control your central heating using the radiator valves. Turn on only those rads that are needed - for instance, just leave the living room rad on when you are out, to keep that room warm. Slightly harder to arrange if the room thermostat is not in that room (is it?)

If there are thermostatic radiator valves, it's a piece of cake, keep the living room up high and the other rooms on the minimum. You only pay for the heat that is actually used.

Comment

Originally posted by Sad S View Post
                      I'm surprised you can't control your central heating using the radiator valves. Turn on only those rads that are needed - for instance, just leave the living room rad on when you are out, to keep that room warm. Slightly harder to arrange if the room thermostat is not in that room (is it?)

If there are thermostatic radiator valves, it's a piece of cake, keep the living room up high and the other rooms on the minimum. You only pay for the heat that is actually used.
                      Thats all good advice, providing the rads have thermostatic valves, turnining rads off and on is a pita when all said and done. When viewing the property there was a fireplace, T was not informed that it did not work, as such T took on the basis that it worked, LL is obliged to repair. Sue LL for specific performance!
                      [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

mine has valves on them but is still get very cold in my house if i know the fires did not work i would have not take the house

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X