Bullied by Landlady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bullied by Landlady

I am posting on behalf of my ex. He recently moved into a house, and is renting a room from the landlady, who is actually my best friends mum. She also lives in the house with her husband. My ex is currently unemployed but actively looking for work, however he has not found anything yet. The landlady knew this when he moved in, she accepted it and said it was ok as long as the rent was paid.

For a few days she has been digging at him about finding work. She told him there are millions of jobs out there and he needs to be out everyday looking for them. She also told him that I'm rolling in money! I'd like to know where it is because I haven't seen it.

Yesterday he went back to the house, after spending a few hours with our children, and apparently she went mad. She has told him that he has 2 weeks to find himself a job otherwise she's going to evict him. He is quiet and tidy and tries not to upset her for fear of being shouted at. It's a shame because he already feels worthless having found himself unemployed. He's worked since he was 15, he's now 24.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for him. It's clearly unfair as he is paying the rent, and wasn't told that finding work was a part of his tenancy. She has told him he must be out of the house everyday by 9am and not to come back till after 5pm. Surely this isn't legal is it?

Hi, I can't help at all on the legal side of this; but I have a situtation of harrassment /bullying by my own landlord and through a member on here I have found out that my local Council Housing Office has an un advertised department that deals with this. As its a lot cheaper and easier to find than a good Solicitor I would suggest a call or visit to see if his has as well; mine are writing a letter for me this week and I'll post it back on here. Other than that I trust some of the more learned members will respond soon. Good luck

Comment

I assume he is lodging - but no, she cannot force him out of the house. However, with her being resident, the best solution might be to move on, but the situation is not going to remedy itself even though she is in the wrong.

Comment

darkestangel29 : I am sorry to hear how your ex is being treated. To some extent what his LL can do will depend on the agreement he has signed with her (if any?), but unfortunately lodgers are 'excluded occupiers' and have very few rights. See this Shelter link:

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...uded_occupiers

Whatever his rights are, it seems like an intolerable situation for him and I imagine he cannot see himself being there long term. Perhaps it would be best if he started looking for somewhere more civilised?

nb Please ignore the advice in the post above this - it's spam and incorrect anyway. Lodgers can be forced out of houses in certain situations, unfortunately.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Your rights as a lodger
          When you live in the same accomodation as your landlord, be it private or a B&B, your rights are often greatly reduced. They generally depend upon what you have agreed with your landlord. They do not have to apply for a court order to evict you, and the notice period can be as little as seven days. When living as a lodger you do not need to have a written agreement for the terms of your stay at the property, however it is probably wise to protect you from misunderstandings in the future.
          This agreement should include:
          How much rent you need to pay and when you should pay it;
          How much notice you will be given if the rent is to be increased;
          How much notice you have to give before moving out;
          What services are provided and which you have to pay for, for example meals and laundry;
          Whether you can have guests in your room and if there are restrictions on how long they can stay;
          If your room is exclusively yours and if you can lock it;
          If you have to pay a deposit for the room and if it's returnable on terminating your stay.

Comment

The line between tough love and harassment is slim.
            As this is your ex living with your best friend's parents I'd say it's almost a family matter... 'Legal' or not if your ex does not stand it he can (1) find a job fast, or (2) move out.

Comment

Good news today! He found himself some agency work and is now on his first shift She won't be happy because he finishes at 3am but at least now he can get a deposit together for somewhere else. I forgot something else she told him, she said that if he had any guest he had to pay a nightly rent for them, so he hasn't had any of the kids to stay. But he has plans now to get some money together, go to the council and ask them for their list of private landlords, he's had that list before but got stuck with some wierdo so he left. He is after a 1 bedroom flat so that he can have the kids over one at a time, because the rent he has been allowed on JSA only covers a shared room. Now he will be able to get back on his feet at long last. I am a very happy lady today.

Thankyou to everyone for all their help, it has been very much appreciated. He has a tenancy agreement that just states how much the rent is, when it is to be paid, and that there was no deposit. There are a few other standard things such as advice about damaged and wear and tear but that's it really. I really don't know what's wrong with the woman but they say you don't really know someone untill you live with them. She's not invited for christmas, that's all I can say lol

Loraine x

Comment

I'm glad it is all working out.
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X