Tenancy Agreement Renewal Fee Charged to Tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy Agreement Renewal Fee Charged to Tenants

I am about to enter into a tenancy agreement and the agent has told me that at the time of renewal of the contract he will charge a renewal fee. Is that normal practice , how can i avoid this from now ?

Secondly, does rent normally increase or stays the same in UK, how can i avoid a no increase in rent after one year.

Yes, some (not all) agents charge tenants a renewal fee. Tell the agent that you will not pay this fee for future tenancies you sign, its normally an amount (some) may be willing to forgo in order to keep a tenant in occupation and retain the business of their landlord.

In regards to the rent increase, it is unusual that a Landlord will agree to allow you to live in a property without the option to increase the rent in the future. You are given 2 months notice of such an increase, if you read the contract it should state the maximum figure so you know what to expect. It doesn't automatically mean that the landlord will ask for an increase, it is usual when considering an increase to view what the prices are of similar properties and base a decision on that.

Comment

The agent is managing the property on behalf of the landlord and exercises significant decision making. If i tell the agent directly i risk losing out on the deal ? Do you think he is legally allowed to charge a tenant for the fee ? Isnt that considered unfair trading or can you advise of a subtle way of getting this into place ?

Comment

Originally posted by fahim81 View Post
        The agent is managing the property on behalf of the landlord and exercises significant decision making. If i tell the agent directly i risk losing out on the deal ? Do you think he is legally allowed to charge a tenant for the fee ? Isnt that considered unfair trading or can you advise of a subtle way of getting this into place ?
        Yes it is legal, they promote such fees are charged for administration (producing the contract/some reference again). This is obviously only payable when you sign a new contract, some tenants remain in the property on a periodic tenancy after the fixed term has expired. Though obviously then you don't have the secuity of an additional fixed term.

What exactly have they said the fees are for ? How much are they?

Comment

Its a tenancy renewal fee of £100. (upon completion of the current contract of one year)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X